VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Exhaust Recommendations / `04 1.8T GTI

883 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  GTI.TECHNIK 
#1 ·
Wifey wants a new exhaust for her week old set of wheels. Any recommendations? I was thinking cat-back. Nothing "ricey"sounding. I'd perfer something mellow & throaty as opposed to sounding like a WW2 barnstormer....
Price is a consideration too. I'm funneling play money into two fun-cars now, besides our daily-drivers.
Thanx
John

#2 ·
Re: Exhaust Recommendations / `04 1.8T GTI (AMYGTI)

depends on the car, and depends on the money. you want beef? go full cat back, and from what ive heard(bad pun intended) borla and flowmaster sound best for the most part. if you've got even more money, throw on a new set of headers, that always helps
. good luck and god speed!

#4 ·
Re: Exhaust Recommendations / `04 1.8T GTI (VWGolfA4)

eg Solid--similar in sound to Milltek (perfect really, it just purrs) and there was a gb in the classifieds for $499. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#5 ·
Re: Exhaust Recommendations / `04 1.8T GTI (Goldice)

Quote, originally posted by Goldice »
depends on the car, and depends on the money. you want beef? go full cat back, and from what ive heard(bad pun intended) borla and flowmaster sound best for the most part. if you've got even more money, throw on a new set of headers, that always helps
. good luck and god speed!

Headers? What forum do you think this is?
Start by searching around here and listening to sound clips. TT is the best for the money. I love my GHL but it's a bit aggressive and loud for some. And you haven't even mentioned the 2.5" vs 3" debate. The worms just started peeping out of the can I just opened.

#6 ·
Re: Exhaust Recommendations / `04 1.8T GTI (VDUBNDizzy)

I've had a conversation with Greg of formerly Forced Motion about this. He has suggested to me custom 3" piping into a Magnaflow muffler - relatively inexpensive and excellent gains in terms of performance. What I inferred from the conversation was that the gains of the loud GHL system can almost be duplicated at a lower volume and fraction of the cost.
Hope this helps!

#8 ·
Re: Exhaust Recommendations / `04 1.8T GTI (Raman Gain)

Quote, originally posted by Raman Gain »
I've had a conversation with Greg of formerly Forced Motion about this. He has suggested to me custom 3" piping into a Magnaflow muffler - relatively inexpensive and excellent gains in terms of performance. What I inferred from the conversation was that the gains of the loud GHL system can almost be duplicated at a lower volume and fraction of the cost.
Hope this helps!

Ya , I am also going to be doing 3" piping to a magnaflow muffler.

#11 ·
Re: Exhaust Recommendations / `04 1.8T GTI (VWGolfA4)

<<<< Milltek - Just alittle louder then stock but with decent power gains. >>>>
Thanx for the input gang, but now Wifey sez leave the exhaust alone ( for now...) I just dropped off a set of heads at the speed shop for my Barracuda and thats gonna cost me ( in more ways then one....
)
Milltek... What's a "good" price for "what"? Just incase something pops up on evil-Bay

#13 ·
Re: Exhaust Recommendations / `04 1.8T GTI (M8)

GET headers, the 4 into 1 makes big HP, um some BOV any kinda will work nicely too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.