VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on replacing my exhaust system. i'm not sure of everything i need cause i haven't looked to closely but i know that i need the rear and center mufflers and the piping that goes between the two. I probably need some work done up frong but i haven't looked at it to closely yet.
I've seen the cat back exhaust systems advertised and i was wondering what that system replaces exactly? Can i replace my whole system with it?
Has anyone installed this system and if so what is your opinion of it?
I read somewhere on this forum that its cheaper and better than VW replacement parts.
Oh yah, the car is a 92 passat 16v with 106k on it. runs pretty good and i need to take care of it cause its my baby.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re: exhaust replacement parts (skybox)

a cat-back exhaust system replaces all of your exhaust except the catalytic converter and downpipe. techtonics and a couple other manufactures make performance cat back exhaust systems that perform better than a stock exhaust and sound better too. tt has both stainless steel and aluminized systems $500 for the former and $250 for the latter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: exhaust replacement parts (mbeef)

mbeef,
what is cat back exhaust exactly anyway? I thought it was just the name of the company that made the exhaust system but you make it sound as though there are a couple different companies that manufacture it.
What are the reasons to go with stainless or aluminized?
250$ seems like a good price if it replaces everything but the catalytic converter. What is the down pipe?
thanks for the helpful info.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Re: exhaust replacement parts (skybox)

Quote, originally posted by skybox »
mbeef,
what is cat back exhaust exactly anyway? I thought it was just the name of the company that made the exhaust system but you make it sound as though there are a couple different companies that manufacture it.
What are the reasons to go with stainless or aluminized?
250$ seems like a good price if it replaces everything but the catalytic converter. What is the down pipe?
thanks for the helpful info.

A "cat back" exhaust is exactly what it sounds like, all new piping usaully larger, and a new muffler and or resonator from the cat to the rear of the bumper. Its not a name of a company its the style of the exhaust. And a downpipe is what is attached to the header pre cat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: exhaust replacement parts (tallicagolf)

I have also been thinking about getting one of these exhaust kits. I've gone through 3 muffler shop mufflers (free replacement on the muffler, 300+ on the non warranty parts) I've just looked at my current exhaust which is beginning to rattle, and the whole thing is cobbled together, look like a 3rd graded made it)
What I'm really interested is, can these be installed without welding or special tools. I have a cut-off saw and would have no problem cutting bolts on the cat to remove the old system, the hangers look like they are in good shape so I'm assuming that other than lots of rust in the my eyes, it should be plug and play.... ?
-dw

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Re: exhaust replacement parts (Dwaugh)

I've only used Techtonics exhausts (one on my A2 and one on my B4) - but have been more than impressed with them. I buy the Stainless units since they'll last pretty much forever. Those of you in snow country would be crazy to buy non-stainless.
The TT systems are VERY easy to install. I'd say that was my first modification to my A2 VW - way back before I had discovered the Vortex or even had a complete set of tools - no problems with it except for the final alignment - a bit of trial and error there.
One more tip - buy the uprated hangers with the "bike chain" reinforcement in them - they'll last a lot longer and save you crawling under the car every year to replace broken hangers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.