VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new GHL exhaust, the last 2 pieces to be exact, since my muffler went bad. I took off the clamps holding it together, only to find what i was hoping not to find. The damn pipes wont separate. When i traded up from 2.5 to 3, i had that problem and ended up going to a local muffler shop to have it heated and separated. I hope to avoid spending the money since i dont have a torch. My question is, if i were to take off the clamps and drive my car around and get the exhaust nice and hot, would it come apart for me? I can just toss on some gloves and pull them apart if that would work. If anyone knows or has tried this, or has any other non-direct flame technique, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Re: Exhaust wont separate, help me creative people! (Dubman1)

That might work. Have you tried loosening the dogbone mount to let the engine move forward more? Are they just stuck together?
You can get a small torch for doing plumbing work for pretty cheap from home depot. nice to have around for other chores as well.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts

or just bang on it w/ a hammer... sounds like the muffler is bad anways, so just rock that thing till it pops off, then repeat for whatever other piece GHL sent a replacement for.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts

slip a flathead screwdriver in one of the slitson the flared section of pipe then give it a little twist (dont shank on it mind you) but the pressure combined with pulling the muffler might do the trick...
fwiw: always smear a little bit of anti sieze on slip exhaust sections and make sure to use band clamps, like the ones ghl supplies, not those crapper u-clamps

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.