VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Audi isn't going to be there but I'm thinking of heading down for the 2014 12 hours of Sebring with a buddy of mine. I'm going to fly down, but haven't decided as to whether to rent an RV, or get a hotel room, or rent a car and car camp on site etc. Anyone have experience with lodging/logistics down there and have any advice? We're not having much luck finding a place to stay as most hotels seem booked.

Any tips on logistics and how to best experience the event most welcome. Also, any vortex ppl interested in doing a meet up during race or establishing a base camp (aka party zone) down there.

·
Registered
13,445 Posts
Too late to find lodging anywhere near the track now.

You'll have a rough one finding an RV, but it's possible. You'll likely pay a premium.

You could always just camp, or drink till those little things don't matter.

Also, the entire track is a party zone. Just keep the social lubricant handy, and enjoy yourself.

We do Camp Rick, located at the timing house on the Fangio chicane (turns 8/9 for the uninitiated).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Could you guys post a post race report on how your track experience went? I want to go next year and need to know about motels or the camping and finding a spot to watch the race. Over the years during TV coverage looks like all the good spots to watch the race are taken up by group "cities". Kind of what I ran into at MOSPORT. Not much into non stop partying so some advice on the more subdued area would be appreciated.
Spencer

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was outstanding. Think of it as mardi gras meets motor-sports. I arrived Thursday evening with a friend and pitched a tent, then was treated to 2 consecutive days of non stop races and qualifying, good access to paddock goings on, and a couple of excellent grid walks. Partying in camp/rv area is pretty much non-stop, people are laid back and in a great mood. Bring earplugs if you want to get some sleep. Great weather too.

Here's a gallery of some photos I took. Ain't a bad seat in the house. I'll be back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157642568651325/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,445 Posts
It was outstanding. Think of it as mardi gras meets motor-sports. I arrived Thursday evening with a friend and pitched a tent, then was treated to 2 consecutive days of non stop races and qualifying, good access to paddock goings on, and a couple of excellent grid walks. Partying in camp/rv area is pretty much non-stop, people are laid back and in a great mood. Bring earplugs if you want to get some sleep. Great weather too.

Here's a gallery of some photos I took. Ain't a bad seat in the house. I'll be back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157642568651325/

Ha!! You got us!

I'm the fat guy on the right, my brother in the middle. I hope we didn't say anything too offensive... We were pretty hammered that day.

http://flic.kr/p/mcrWPs

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha!! You got us!

I'm the fat guy on the right, my brother in the middle. I hope we didn't say anything too offensive... We were pretty hammered that day.

http://flic.kr/p/mcrWPs

Tally ho! Those are some scary odds that I happened to snap your picture among all the thousands of people there. I need to play the lottery right away.

As I recall, you guys just made fun of my poor camera skills, which I believe was merited at the time. :)

It looked like you were having a great time up there! That was an amazing elevated bleacher structure you had built there.

·
Registered
13,445 Posts
Could you guys post a post race report on how your track experience went?

we've been at it for about 10 years now, not counting when we were kids and would come every year with our dad.

it's a very unique event; there's simply no other event that offers the proximity that sebring offers its spectators to all the action in terms of professional racing in the US. the only place you don't have access to with your admission is the Pit area, and you can probably get a pass for that if you're willing to pay a premium (don't quote me on that).

I want to go next year and need to know about motels or the camping and finding a spot to watch the race.
you'll likely need to book as far in advance as possible, as a lot of places start taking reservations when the next year's dates are announced. we've found it much more convenient to just rent an RV and sort of camp it out the entire week. As far as finding a spot to watch; just walk the track and decide on which place you like it best.

the good news is that if you get the 4 day pass, you can get an idea as to where all the action will be during the practices, qualifying, and support races that go on. that way you'll have your mind made up about what you want to do on race day. additionally, it's a 12 hour race, so really, you can just wander around all day at various locations.

Over the years during TV coverage looks like all the good spots to watch the race are taken up by group "cities". Kind of what I ran into at MOSPORT. Not much into non stop partying so some advice on the more subdued area would be appreciated.

well, you've got groups that have been doing it for decades, so they kind of claim certain spots. but that doesn't stop you from getting a view, as there's a corridor that runs alongside most of the track between where the campsites are and the actual racing happens. the only exceptions are in the North Paddock, the Start/Finish, and along the Ulmann Straight (which is the race paddock, where all the teams have their trucks and gear). even so, you've still got good viewing positions within all of those limited areas, and there's viewing mounds along most of the track.

you'll know the big party areas because they'll generally have some kind of makeshift signage letting you know what they're going to do when it gets dark. for example, if you see F-Troop, TURN10, SpongeBob, etc, you'll know that it'll likely get rowdy because those guys have been at it forever, and they have a reputation to maintain. :laugh:

Everything North of the Midway is basically general admission parking/camping. To the East you've got the North Paddock that has numbered stalls for RVs and Camping.

South of the Midway you've got the Start/Finish line which also has numbered stalls on the north side of the track, and the Grandstands and Fangio Terrace (as well as pressboxes) on the south side of the track.

South of that, you've got the competitor's paddock, which you'll have access to with your general admission pass, but you can't camp there.

The North Paddock will be quieter, but it's also more expensive as you'll have to pay for a slot to reserve it. In Green Park, it's pretty much first come, first served.

The map will also show you where the viewing mounds are, restrooms, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.