VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has something to do with water getting into the cylinders. How/why does it make your car die?

·
Registered
16,767 Posts
Re: Explain hydrolock to me (mad8vskillz)

It can damage your engine because water is not compressible unlike air, so as the piston comes up, it tries to compress the water, which it can't, and a lot of stress is created. This can bend rods, put holes in pistons, blow out valves, etc.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Re: Explain hydrolock to me (Rob)

Yep. It happens when your car sucks liquid water into the intake. This is more common if you've put one of those dimwitted Col Air Intakes (CAI) on your car - basically a tube that goes to the front of the car from the throttle body. Then, when you hit a small puddle - KABOOM!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Re: Explain hydrolock to me (John Mc)

Unless the CAI is submerged up to its ears in water it's hard to get the engine hydrolocked. Any sel-respecting intake manufacturer will place the intake as far away from the ground as possible while putting it up front as much as possible. Also there are air bypass valves available for such applications. They will let the engine breather air while the filter is submerged up to it's ears in a water tank.
AEM has one.

·
Registered
26,574 Posts
Re: Explain hydrolock to me (Dimka.m)

Hydrolock, or hydraulic lock, is not limited to water.
A rare, strange failure mode on some Digifant cars when the computer takes a crap is for all of the injectors to remain open at least as long as the key is turned on. This dumps all the pressurized fuel from the accumulator through them. Power on, cylinders fill. Not pretty, except that while the engine is running, it runs like utter crap. It's usually not noticed until you try to start the engine, and nothing happens. You find that the battery is fine, the starter is okay, and fears arise that the engine locked up. Fortunately, while trying to start the car, motor just "freezes", so it's not spinning enough to do any sort of major damage.
Don't ask me how I know this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.