VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me what the Immobilizer stops so car does not run,,Issue I have is, bought this car and drove it OK then went to use the second key, which had a dead battery and it went to "no run, did start for few seconds mode" got into it and figured it out, got it running then got 20 miles on it went to acting up,sort of surging, started looking at it, found Timing belt was reasonably new, but had damage from sand?pebbles so changed the TB etc, cleaned the EGR and after cooler, changed fuel filter, primed with vacuum pump, found a leak in return line in frame under pass. floor fixed that, checked all the wire connectors, but car will not start, gave a few sniffs of starting fluid with caution, runs to use up the starting fluid, have fuel coming out of loosened fuel lines, but wont run, will clear all codes with VCDS and see what goes on, no immobilizer lite is on, but that is when the issues started, so I am at a loss of what goes on, any ideas. the fuel pump symbol and eng lite do lite after starting to crank it, when it gets lite out I will clear all the coded and see what happens, and see what the lite issue does then as that is new since this start run issue, and will check with VCDS but I am new to Ross Tech. so will be a learning curve, hope to hook up with someone here near Phoenix that can tutor me, have been a lifetime HD Diesel so I know the basic, this VW stuff is the same but different, just need to know how to use the Ross Tech. to assist me, so any ideas would help Thank you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Been awhile and this section is dead, might as well reply to a few questions though. This post explains the immobilizer better than I ever could

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/i...ng-for-vw-and-audi-with-key-replacement-tips/

Basically
- Cluster matches to chip inside key, which is read by that plastic circle around the key hole that functions as an antenna.
- Both cluster and key communicate with the ECU
- If key does not match cluster, cluster light will flash regardless if the immobilizer is defeated
- Immobilizer defeats will get an engine running while ignoring the other two inputs.

Typically if you have an immo problem it will flash the light on the cluster and shut the car down after a couple seconds.

Cheers,

Owain

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.