VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

explanation of cams

1K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  DUBMON 
#1 ·
just as the topic says guys. i want to know what the different size cams do for your car. acceleration, top end and/or idle affected. what does the numbers (ex. 260) represent. is the install complicated, location of cam?.....i can go for hours. thanks in advance to all that answer.

#3 ·
Re: explanation of cams (phat-black-dub)

im interested as well...as far as i can tell, you get the cams, you lose low end but gain high. i havent really looked into it yet but if thats the case, then im probably gonna skip it. id rather have my daily driver have low end than high

#6 ·

I believe the higher the number the more low end you loose but gain more top end. The duration also matters though I'm not an expert.
Fer 8valves an Adjustable cam sprocket will help your lowend and fer the VR6's a VGI will solve the problem. Thats y every1 recommends the 268/VGI setup.

#7 ·
Re: explanation of cams (LangsamKafer)

YES THE SEARCH WORKS. it seems as if you have to know the exact name of the topic to get what you want. when i used the search the were a lot of classifieds and very few topics were in the g/j III forum. is it really that hard to help out a fellow texer? i'm not trying to be a pecker, but it seems as if i never get any ?'s answered, even if they are dumb to ya'll.

#8 ·

ok, here's a brief explanation...
the numbers....
260 for example, this is most likely the duration of time that the intake valve stays completely open. from seat to seat. or open to close. this is measured in degrees. so for every complete rotation of the camshaft, the intake valves are opened for 260 degrees out of a 360 degree rotation of the camshaft. make sense?
lift numbers are sometimes given as well...
example, .445 lift means at BDC(piston at bottom dead center) the intake valve is open .445 of an inch. simple as that.

as far as performance goes...
the more duration your cam has, the less bottom end you will have. but you will gain hp accordingly at the other end of the rpm range.
camming a forced induction engine...
mild cams are usually recommended with forced air induction systems(turbo, supercharger)
basically, the principal of forced induction is the keep the air in each cylinder as long as possible to create higher compression, cumbustion chamber pressures, etc.. the idea of a radical cam is to move the air through the cylinder as quickly as possible without the aid of forced air(I.E. long duration, high lift)... so a real radical cam is not going to give you great gains with a forced system. something intermediate would be more beneficial. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·
Re: explanation of cams (ramone)

quote:[HR][/HR]I believe the higher the number the more low end you loose but gain more top end. The duration also matters though I'm not an expert.
Fer 8valves an Adjustable cam sprocket will help your lowend and fer the VR6's a VGI will solve the problem. Thats y every1 recommends the 268/VGI setup.
[HR][/HR]​
thanks ramone. can you use an adjustable sprocket with stock cam or should you get a new cam? i got a 2.0
thanks a bunch volksch...

[Modified by phat-black-dub, 11:13 AM 11-28-2001]

#10 ·
Re: explanation of cams (VolkSchnell-GTI)

cam #'s are usually given in the following order
intake duration/exhaust duration/lift
intake duration is usually longer than the exhaust duration for the simple fact that the burned gasses comsume less space in the combustion chamber after they are burned. thereforre they take less time to get rid of, so the exhaust valve can be open for a shorter period of time.

i could go on and on and on and on...... but i am at work...

edit* you're welcome
and btw- you should get a cam b4 you run a sprocket. although you would see some very minimal gains without it.

[Modified by VolkSchnell-GTI, 4:15 PM 11-28-2001]

#11 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]can you use an adjustable sprocket with stock cam or should you get a new cam? i got a 2.0[HR][/HR]​
You can but Its probably recommended with atleast a 268 or 270.
Also I would deff. recommend a chip adjusted to your cam. You can get a 268 and chip from TTTuning fer pretty cheap. (new springs and lifters are also recommended)

#14 ·
Re: explanation of cams (easy-dubs-it)

the diff between the solid and hydro is

solid lifter cams do not use oil journals to carry oil to the lifters to be pumped up.
hydro's are (hydraulic) filled with oil to make them run smoother and create less noise. all a3 cars have hydraulic lifters. i'm not sure when they switched, but it was in the a2 body styles.

#15 ·
Re: explanation of cams (ramone)

quote:[HR][/HR]can you use an adjustable sprocket with stock cam or should you get a new cam? i got a 2.0
You can but Its probably recommended with atleast a 268 or 270.
Also I would deff. recommend a chip adjusted to your cam. You can get a 268 and chip from TTTuning fer pretty cheap. (new springs and lifters are also recommended)[HR][/HR]​
i have an autoauthority chip and if i'm not mistaken, you DO NOT have to reprogram these, right??

#16 ·

it would be a good idea to look into a Garrett or AMS chip. the technology used to burn these chips is far superior to most others.
the TT chip is actually done by Garrett(GIAC) so either one will be exactly the same.
the AMS chip is designed by the same software programs as the ABT chip from Germany.
either one would be a vast improvement.

#18 ·

i would say 268 would be perfect for your car.
still retains good mileage, hp gains all across the rpm range, good idle(a tiny bit lumpy, but it sounds cool
)
and your chip should be ok. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

edit* also note that uprated valve springs are only needed in OBDII cars. OBDI used stiffer dual springs(good for higher rpm revs) and the OBDII uses softer single springs that are not as good for high revs.(hence the OBDII cars have that sick sounding slow rev limiter to prevent burning valves)

[Modified by VolkSchnell-GTI, 4:28 PM 11-28-2001]

[Modified by VolkSchnell-GTI, 4:29 PM 11-28-2001]

#19 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]for a guy like myself with my mods (see below) what cams are recomended for all around hp gain and usage?!....i got a neuspeed chip...i prob. have to buy a new one right?..
what about the the eip chip?....[HR][/HR]​
The Neuspeed Camshaft works well with the P-chip, but since you have the P-chip and that advances your timing I wouldn't get a very radical Cam, maybe a 268. The Neuspeed Cam/Neuspeed Chip combo is good. Whatever Cam you get, try to get a chip made by the same company so they can most likely work well together without reprogramming.

#23 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]now....if i turbo my car (hopefully by end of this year) should i even bother with cams or will just make my car even more powerful?
and what is the list of all the parts needed that go along with cams?
u guys are great help![HR][/HR]​
don't bother with a cam if you are going to turbo it. if you have $$ to blow, some special turbo and supercharger cams are made that will get you a couple more ponies. but nothing substantial(sp).
parts needed for cam install:
OBDI- cam and chip
OBDII- cam, chip, retainers, valve springs
also replace plug wires, plugs, distributor parts as needed....

#24 ·
Re: explanation of cams (EuroSport98)

quote:[HR][/HR]Whats the opinion among you vortexers for a 268 cam? Autotech, TT, or shrick?...whats the difference among these..thanks in advance
[HR][/HR]​
Autotech is ok, but they are made by Hör Tech, and they have a bad reputation for melting lobes and being made from cheap materials. therefore making them soft.
TT is a great cam and i would recommend to anyone.
Schrick is the best IMO. it's German, and the quality and finish are absolutely flawless. only the best materials are used by Dr. Schrick Co. I am running the Schrick 288 in my 2.0L 8v this spring. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif (with Garrett chip)

#25 ·

this is a great topic!
What are the benefits of advancing vs. retarding the cam timing (i.e., why low-end torque vw. top-end power)? Is it even worth it on a 2.0? Will it affect emmissions?

[Modified by christine, 8:45 AM 11-28-2001]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.