VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 20000 miles on my 2001 Passat GLX. Was thinking of purchasing an extended warantee before the regular warantee runs out at 24,000 miles. The drive train warantee is good for 100,000 miles. Is there a thread or site that already discusses this or does anyone have any opinion on wether to go through VW or another company. Or even if it is worth purchasing an extended plan.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Re: Extended Warantee (stamkis)

WarrantyDirect.com is my top choice at this point -- but has not convinced me that they cover timing belt failure (drive belts are specifically excluded -- but their salesman insists that a timing belt that fails prior to the scheduled replacement would be covered by them). I prefer to see that in writing which, not surprisingly, he is unable to produce.
I have a nagging feeling that at the time of timing belt failure -- my salesman's insistance would be like a fart in the wind -- and that their (then) interpreters would deem a timing belt as a 'drive belt'.
Color me skeptical (I watch too much Judge Judy).
A better approach would be to poll users of extended warranties to see what was covered during their experience -- and what hoops they needed to jump thru to either a) keep their warranty in effect, or b) get the warranty company to pay.
Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts