VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, do you guy think is worth it to purchase extended warranty?
I purchased my 2001.5 Passat this past May, and it has already
12000mi on it because I traveled between SF and LA very often.
I am thinking about getting extended warranty, but not sure if I
can still get it or not. How much will it cost generally? Has any-
one get it can give me some honest opinions?
Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (max8176)

I paid about $ 950 at the time of sale to go with 7 year/100,000 coverage. They said I only had 30 days after date of sale to make that decision. I did it right then since I could package it into the financing. I generally don't like to buy warranties, but since I went with the 1.8T I worried about the turbo going early.
My $.02

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (arc)

If you've put 12,000 miles on it in 6 mos, forego the warranty - you'll exceed it fairly quickly. Highway miles don't really hurt a car - it's starting the motor that hurts. You'll hit 100,000 w/in 5 years - still w/in your VW powertrain warranty and it's unlikely that your other stuff will yet have malfunctioned.
If you are adamant, check out http://www.warrantydirect.com and get the diamondwrap.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

Yes, you can go back later to purchase additional warranty coverage. It's just that the price goes up as the mileage ticks away on your car. You might spen $900 when the car's new, but after 5k miles (for example), you'll have to spend more money for the same coverage.
I went with an extended warranty at the time I bought my 2001.5 in June since the original warranty sucked IMO. Most people say to be wary of internet warranty providers. Geez, at your rate you'll exceed 150k miles before 7 years are out. If you do get an additional warranty, definitely go with a high mileage one- but you knew that already.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (darisgin)

quote:[HR][/HR]If you've put 12,000 miles on it in 6 mos, forego the warranty - you'll exceed it fairly quickly. Highway miles don't really hurt a car - it's starting the motor that hurts. You'll hit 100,000 w/in 5 years - still w/in your VW powertrain warranty and it's unlikely that your other stuff will yet have malfunctioned.[HR][/HR]​
A well known non-engine related problem: control arms.
A comprehensive extended warranty would also cover ABS (well over $1000 to fix), faulty airbags ($$$), and traction control, which are all important safety features. The car will run fine without them, but do you want to be without them?
So no one on this forum has purchased the Masterguard extended warranty for their 2002?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (av_audi)

I think extended warranties are a waste of money.
I purchased a Masterguard extended warranty when I bought my car. Soon after I decided to get my money back. It doesn't seem worth it IMHO. Whether I pay $1000 for the extended warranty or $1000 for a repair, either way I'm spending $1000. I'd rather roll the dice and take my chances.
After reading this forum for the past two years, I have yet to see anyone need their airbags, abs, or "traction control" repaired out of the normal b2b warranty.
The salesman who sold me the extended warranty kept saying that the air conditioning alone would cost $1200 to repair on my car. Once again, I have yet to hear of anyone needing that replaced out of the normal b2b warranty.
Just my .02

..Alpha

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (av_audi)

I too am considering an extended warrantee. I tried to use warranty direct, but they are not allowed to sell in California. In fact I was told that it is not possible to buy any extended warrantee over the internet for California residents. Is this true? If so, what are my options in California?
Jim

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

That's not true at all! As long as your car is still under the 2 Year 24K B2B Factory Warranty, you can purchase an extended warranty from Volkswagen! Just go straight to the Finance Dept. at any Volkswagen dealership, and all they have to do is verify the mileage on your car!
You can also checkout 1Source Auto Warranty at the following URL: http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com/ http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
GEICO Insurance also has an extended warranty option for their automotive policies.

[Modified by The Swami, 2:25 PM 11-28-2001]

·
Registered
972 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (The Swami)

I had an extended Masterguard 60months/60K warranty on my 99 wagon and when i sold it, buyer was very happy to pay a full price (860) I paid for it year earlier.
Now, I have a 72months/84Kmiles no deductible platinum Masterguard warranty on my 01 Camper. FYI- I paid $1226 for it.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (Cruisin9)

quote:[HR][/HR]I too am considering an extended warrantee. I tried to use warranty direct, but they are not allowed to sell in California. In fact I was told that it is not possible to buy any extended warrantee over the internet for California residents. Is this true? If so, what are my options in California? [HR][/HR]​
I think it is BS. California just passed a law that requires extended warranties to meet certain criteria. I just don't know the details, but I do remember many internet sites saying their lawyers are looking into whether their warranty terms comply with the new law. I think that's all there is to it. For VWs, the best choice may be to stick to Masterguard.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (AlphaPepper)

quote:[HR][/HR]
I think extended warranties are a waste of money.
I purchased a Masterguard extended warranty when I bought my car. Soon after I decided to get my money back. It doesn't seem worth it IMHO. Whether I pay $1000 for the extended warranty or $1000 for a repair, either way I'm spending $1000. I'd rather roll the dice and take my chances. [HR][/HR]​
It really depends on the car. With a VW, chances of something going wrong are quite a bit higher than with a Toyota or Honda. Think control arms, turbo, subpar electrical systems, etc. A turbo alone could cost you $2000. I normally wouldn't think about a warranty, but the Passat is a VW. 50Kmiles is merely two years form me. With 100Kmiles, at least I am covered for 4 years, after which I can just junk the car in the worst case scenario. If I can get a 100K/4-5 years Platinum Masterguard for less than $1200-1300, I may just buy it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Extended Warranty... (Cupholder)

wow, so many replies to my question.
Thanks. I have a 2001.5 v6, so I don't
have to worry about turbo problems.
But I do scare little problems that may
appear later. Like my light bulb went
out twice already, and I don't know how
to change the front light bulbs...
How much do you think a 5yr/60k cost
or should cost?

·
Registered
293 Posts

When I bought my 2001.5, I said that I wasn't sure I would buy the vehicle from them, and asked if I could get the warranty from them if I bought the vehicle from someone else. They said yes. I then informed her that this ment that I could buy the car from them and get the best deal on the warranty from another VW dealer. At this, she dropped the price significantly - I think I paid $1000 for the 5 year/70K VW Platinum warranty, and know I could have paid a little less.
The main things to remember are:
1. You can buy an extended warranty at any time prior to the expiry of the factory warranty.
2. The price of the warranty is negotiable,

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (jeffp25)

Ironic that my 1000 post would be on a topic dealing with warranties! If you don't plan on moddifying the car, or plan on doing so with mods that can be easily removed before bringing the car to the dealership, I would say get it if you can afford it. Given the various things that can go wrong with these cars, and the expensive repair costs (such as control arms) I think it's a wise investment. Mine paid for itself when at 30k miles my alternator quite. Dealership wanted $800 total to fix the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (Soul Hunter)

Given the complexity of cars today, computer boards and other expensive parts may need to be replaced. This can easily exceed the cost of the warranty. Another point to consider... if you sell the vehicle after the factory warranty expires, an extended warranty will provide many buyers with a piece of mind.
With the '02 Variant I recently purchased I picked up the factory extended warranty (Platinum -- 6 years and 100k miles) for @ $830 ($50 over cost). The dealer matched pricing from aftermarket warranties on the web. Make sure you choose the Platinum and not the Gold as the Gold doesn't cover computer boards, etc.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (Hansi)

quote:[HR][/HR]
With the '02 Variant I recently purchased I picked up the factory extended warranty (Platinum -- 6 years and 100k miles) for @ $830 ($50 over cost). The dealer matched pricing from aftermarket warranties on the web. Make sure you choose the Platinum and not the Gold as the Gold doesn't cover computer boards, etc.[HR][/HR]​
That sounds like a great deal. I agree that the Platinum is the way to go. What deductible did you choose? I heard the 0-deductible option is not available with 100K Masterguards. Is that true?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (arc)

Isn't the turbo covered by 7 years/70k miles(emissions) factory warranty? So if you bought a 7 year extended warranty thinking about the turbo, you might not recover the investment. IMO, buying extended warranty is like betting money that your car is gonna break down (because you want to recover what you invested, right?).I bought one for my B5.5 and later changed my mind and got the money back. My philosophy is, if so many things break down that Im near or over $1500, Ill get rid of the car then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (vidaloca32)

Recognizing that VW has made significant strides in improving quality, the company hasn't been able to drive its suppliers to the quality levels that the Japanese see. IMO it is a financial risk to assume that you won't have a issues over the longer term. Thus, an extended warranty mitigates this risk.
It all depends on how long you want to keep the car. If you're looking to hold the car for five or six years (assuming you buy an '02), it definitely is a worthwhile investment. During those years, you could easily need a starter, alternator, CV joints, water pump, computer board, etc. Any combination of these will easily exceed the cost of the warranty. At the very least, the buyer of your vehicle will reimburse you for the piece of mind they gain.
I guess I'm failing to see the logic on not getting the extended warranty. Based on what you've communicated, in years five and six, you're willing to shell out the $1,500 for repairs, attempt to sell the car, and shell out another $25-30k or more for a new car? That a significant outlay vs the cost of the warranty.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty... (Hansi)

A Passat has at least average (I think its actually slightly above average according to CR). One of the reasons I bought it was because I dont believe it is likely that such a combination of major repairs will occurr. Remember, insurance is a business of chance; those insurance quotes are based on insurance companies research of probabilities of car failure, accident rates, etc.They make money, that means cars either dont need repairs or repairs are less than what you paid, otherwise they'll be out of business. I just dont understand why would you buy a car that you feel has a good chance of breaking down and why would you want to keep such a car after 5 years if either you or the warranty has paid a significant amount of money in repairs. Ive owned all american cars(probably worst reliability than german cars) before this VW for at least 5 years and Ive never had to spend 1500 in repairs. I guess only time will tell, but I feel pretty good that Im not gonna regret my decision.

[Modified by vidaloca32, 5:16 PM 11-29-2001]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts