VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the middle of bay shaving and Im to the point where I need to extend some wires. Do the gauge of wires need to be exact? I have read that some have taken a spare harness and chopped it up and others say that it needs to be exact to to resistances and such...to any that have done this much help is appreciated:thumbup:

Pics for clicks on where im at:

These have been unwrapped since the pic:

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Best bet would be to buy another harness so you can extend it with the same color/type/guage wire.. Ive done 4 or so harnesses this way all working perfect.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah you were the one i have seen my past searched threads that refers to doing that method and it seems to make the most/easiest since. Do you think it would matter it the engine codes/auto/manual/audi 1.8t would matter since im just looking for extra wire.

I know many others have done this so all input is appreciated:beer:

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
you can buy a brand new 1.8t engine harness for around 100 from ecs. The passanger side(o2sensors) dont need to be extended if done right

·
Registered
37,494 Posts
Use the same gauge or lower/larger. Make sure you use auto grade, txl or gxl is the easiest to find. You can use any color(s) but it does make troubleshooting and id later a bit harder.

Also if you are extending any shielded wires, use shielded wire to extend it.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx for the suggestions fells:thumbup: i have a feeling i will be doing the new harness route due to easing the job and helping when/if problems occur down the road....just sux spending 100 bones on a new harness just to hack it up, but as my father would say "you got to pay to play":thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts