VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my personal vehicle that I've owned since I was 16. I bought the car used with 60,xxx miles on it as my first vehicle completely stock. I had taken decent care of the finish with what knowledge I had with just washing and waxing. The last few years as I started to get into detailing I started to see what my paints finish really looked like. This cars finish is what originally got me into doing paint correction as I wanted the car to be perfect. Since starting to detail and do correction jobs I just have not had time to do my own vehicle which has been killing me. I haven’t driven the car all winter and it was sitting outside and as you will see it was in need of a serious correction. The entire finish of the car looked horrible. I will let the pics speak for themselves. Hope everyone enjoys! All pics have been resized but it seems as if photobucket is taking its time for them to actual tone down a bit. Sorry if a few images are still huge...

Process
Wash/clay
-Two bucket wash w/ heavy mix of dawn
-DP Extreme Auto foam/heavy Dawn mix via AG Foam cannon
-Red LC wash mitt
-Dried with LC HD WW towels
-Pinnacle Clay bar
-Pinnacle clay lube

Wheels/Tires
-Various Brushes w/ P21s Wheel Gel
-Meg's Gold class tire gel
-Wheel wells received some Aerospace 303

Correction
-PCXP 7424
-Megs 105 w/ LC Orange pad (2 Passes)
-Megs 205 w/ LC White pad (2 Passes)

LSP
-Black Fire Wet Diamond Paint Sealant
-Pinnacle Souverän

All exterior textured trim received some Aerospace 303 protectant

Total Time: 12 hours

Started with the car being extremely dirty.

After I washed and clayed the car I took it out into the sun to see the real defects. It wasnt pretty. Actually it was really really bad.

Under the lights it was much worse.

The entire cars finish looked like this. Very disappointing as I had a lot of work ahead of me.

Fender area

Rear quarter

I did a test section and found that 2 passes with LC orange and m105 and 2 passes of LC white with m205 would do the trick.

Here is the rear quarter after both passes

and a semi 50/50

I followed this process the entire car. Here is the hood section 50/50 with just one pass of orange with m105

Batteries died and didn’t have anymore at the house so I didn’t get anymore during process shots. After I did the entire vehicle I took it outside to check my work and before LSP and after an IPA wipe down and another heavily mixed dawn wash.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Needless to say I was very happy with the outcome Pre LSP. I brought the car back in the garage and added a layer of Blackfire wet diamond paint sealant and let cure for a few hours. Wiped it down and layered on a coat of Pinnacle Souverän. Here are the finished pics from my hard work.

Took a shot of the bay, pipes are getting powder coated here shortly so I will detail it after that is done.

Seats :D

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I'm not terribly familiar with the Megs products, I use 3M Perfect-It products but your results are fantastic :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
just wondering how do you guys eliminate swirls after polishing without a DA?? I just got let go from my job at a detailer due to lack of work and want to do paint correction on the side but I only have a polisher and no DA.:beer:

·
Registered
123 Posts
what is the full name of those products? i am going to be returning to my 04 R32 soon and want to show it some tlc after being in storage for the duration of my deployment...

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just wondering how do you guys eliminate swirls after polishing without a DA?? I just got let go from my job at a detailer due to lack of work and want to do paint correction on the side but I only have a polisher and no DA.:beer:
What type of polisher are you talking about? Really without a DA or Rotary you will not be able to remove defects (swirls, holograms and such). Correction like this by hand is just not going to happen.

what is the full name of those products? i am going to be returning to my 04 R32 soon and want to show it some tlc after being in storage for the duration of my deployment...
The compounds, machine used, and pads? The rest of the products are the full names so I'm guessing you want the correction products.

The Machine used is a Porter Cable 7424 XP, Pads used were Lake Country Flat Orange cutting 5.5 and 4inch pads, and Lake Country flat White polishing 5.5 and 4inch pads

Compounds

Megs 105, M105 = Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound 105

Megs 205, M205 = Meguiars Ultra Finishing Polish 205

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Great work - I must say, VW did something right with the mk3 black

Heres my 1995 (August 1994 build) Jetta, all original except trunk and fender.. this was just a clay barring and quick detailer ... didnt even have the time to hit it with the porter cable at all

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
What type of polisher are you talking about? Really without a DA or Rotary you will not be able to remove defects (swirls, holograms and such). Correction like this by hand is just not going to happen.
I'm not talking about the "spiderweb" scratches, I mean after you've polished with a rotary, the swirls/holograms you get when the sun hits it. At the shop where I learned, I was just let go because of lack of work, and we used a DA to finish to remove swirls. But DA's aren't cheap, and was wondering how some of the other profesionals remove swirls without one, because this gti appears to have none in the pics (seeing it in person may show them, but the pics look good)

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm not talking about the "spiderweb" scratches, I mean after you've polished with a rotary, the swirls/holograms you get when the sun hits it. At the shop where I learned, I was just let go because of lack of work, and we used a DA to finish to remove swirls. But DA's aren't cheap, and was wondering how some of the other profesionals remove swirls without one, because this gti appears to have none in the pics (seeing it in person may show them, but the pics look good)
LOL, for one I dont use a rotary. I use a PC 7424XP which is a DA polisher. This car has no swirls or holograms. The reason you saw them at your "detailing" job is because of improper use of a rotary buffer. Those holograms are from using the wrong combination of pads/compounds/polish. The finish you see in the pics is what you see in real life. This is the reason I took pics in the full sunlight to show the hologram free finish. The cars paint is perfect with no defects. The shop you learned obviously did not teach you good technique and probably used a rotary buffer with a wool pad and a heavy compound. Covered it up with some glaze and sent it on its way. There are absolutly no holograms what so ever on any part of this vehicle and there never should be if a buffer of any type touches the vehicle from a skilled person using the right technique. I really hope that the shop that you learned to detail wouldnt let a car leave with holograms... A rotary in the right hands can always finish down just as good if not better than a DA polisher....

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
LOL, for one I dont use a rotary. I use a PC 7424XP which is a DA polisher. This car has no swirls or holograms. The reason you saw them at your "detailing" job is because of improper use of a rotary buffer. Those holograms are from using the wrong combination of pads/compounds/polish. The finish you see in the pics is what you see in real life. This is the reason I took pics in the full sunlight to show the hologram free finish. The cars paint is perfect with no defects. The shop you learned obviously did not teach you good technique and probably used a rotary buffer with a wool pad and a heavy compound. Covered it up with some glaze and sent it on its way. There are absolutly no holograms what so ever on any part of this vehicle and there never should be if a buffer of any type touches the vehicle from a skilled person using the right technique. I really hope that the shop that you learned to detail wouldnt let a car leave with holograms... A rotary in the right hands can always finish down just as good if not better than a DA polisher....
Well you're right about using a polisher with wool pad and compound. But we didn't use glaze to hid the swirls/holograms, we used the DA to remove those, so I guess my boss isn't as **** hot at polishing as he let on lol I'm not sure what type of technique would be needed to remove the swirls in that case.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Great job mate¡

I have a MK3 too, recently got into detailing, using the PC7424XP, LC and Chemical guys pads, Pinnacle polishes, Meg´s ultra compound, Klasse sealant and 3M carnauba wax.

Funny thing, 2 days after i finished the correction on my car, got hit by a drunk 19 years old a$$hat :thumbdown:

Good to see MK3´s detailed in here, quite a good amount of equpment you had, congrats! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I was always nervous about using machines, but after looking up the 7424, I found some youtube videos that changed my mind.

my wife just got a black '04 Passat and it needs some help. thanks for the inspiration. :beer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts