VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go with an external wastegate, Tial 35mm, for my turbo project. I currently have T3/T4 including the internal wastegate assemly.
One of the local guys at a tuning shop told me that I need to use a different T3 turbine housing. I thought all T3 turbine housing have provision for the internal wastegate swingvalve assembly.
What do you have to do to use the T3 turbine with an external wastegate? Is there a replacement for the swingvalve assembly housing that blocks the opening for the internal wastegate?
Thanks in advance for any info......

·
Registered
331 Posts
Re: External wastegate on T3/T4 (CyberGTi)

quote:[HR][/HR]One of the local guys at a tuning shop told me that I need to use a different T3 turbine housing. I thought all T3 turbine housing have provision for the internal wastegate swingvalve assembly[HR][/HR]​
You can use external wastegate. You need to make a flange that has two separate openings, one for the turbine outlet and other for the wastegate opening. This flange is about to be attached straight to the place of the original swingvalve body. Then just route a pipe to an external wastegate. this flange should be done out of steel plate of ~.5inch in thickness.
Also there are turbine housings for t3's without that wastegate opening.
quote:[HR][/HR]What do you have to do to use the T3 turbine with an external wastegate? Is there a replacement for the swingvalve assembly housing that blocks the opening for the internal wastegate?[HR][/HR]​
With this You don't need to arrange a flange to the exhaust header for the external wastegate.
I'm going to try to find a pic for You...
edit:
http://www.buzztuning.net/Galleria/2002/Acs2002/index2.htm
The gulf-coloured esco mk1 has this kinda solution. In the buzztuningg gallery there are better pisc of the engine bay.

[Modified by jynssi, 4:11 PM 4-9-2002]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.