VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Jetta.

I was wondering if adding extra pressure to my rear tires - which would shift more weight to the front - would help prevent the tires from spinning as much on hard accelerations. Obviously the car is front wheel drive.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see the problem with the question. Raising the back of the car would shift the weight in the opposite direct: the front. Obviously when you accelerate the weight shifts to the back and off the drive wheels, but there's nothing you can do about that in a front wheel drive car. That's a different issue entirely.

Why wouldn't raising the back, if anything, at least lessen this shift.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I don't see the problem with the question. Raising the back of the car would shift the weight in the opposite direct: the front. Obviously when you accelerate the weight shifts to the back and off the drive wheels, but there's nothing you can do about that in a front wheel drive car. That's a different issue entirely.

Why wouldn't raising the back, if anything, at least lessen this shift.
what difference do you think 5 or even 10 psi would make in raising the rear of the car, if at all? so yeah, dumb question

·
Registered
607 Posts
It only works if you install considerably larger rear tires. Try something like 35's ;)

·
33,221 Posts
FV-QR

and stiffen the rear suspension to stop from squatting during acceleration

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You couldn't put enough pressure in the rear tires to make any noticeable change in "weight shift".

It would also cause center tire wear, and lessened rear tire grip around hard cornering(maybe this is a dragster, and cornering isn't an issue- only acceleration).

Upgrading the suspension is your best option for helping get more power to the ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.