VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 2.0T. The AC has suddenly stopped working. Completely blowing warm air, even with AC engaged. I am looking for some advice from what i found out so far.

I have checked the fuses for the AC system (14 and 40), they checked out fine.
I have also hooked up the obdeleven and was able to see the compressor is getting power, and there is 9 bar of pressure in the system.

Hoping the issue is the very common solenoid issue, i hooked up some AC gauges and i am getting off the charts pressure on the low pressure side.
Edit: i do not have enough posts to post images. reading on low pressure side is maxed out, high pressure side is at about 150PSI

This was a static reading, turning on the AC seemed to have no effect on the pressures.

I am curious if these readings point to something more serious, or should i just attempt the solenoid repair?

Last question, is the Denso 7SEU17C the same thing as 7SEU176C?

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
What was the ambient engine compartment temps when theses static readings were taken? Center shaft of compressor spinning when set to maximum cooling? Type of Hvac climatic or climatronic? What was the compressor shutoff codes when set to max cooling?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey Thanks for the reply, i appreciate the help.

What was the ambient engine compartment temps when theses static readings were taken?
I dont have the exact temp, but it was a pretty hot day. I would say in the 85-95F range.

Center shaft of compressor spinning when set to maximum cooling?
This one has been tough for me to figure out, given the location of the part and the fact that i never observed it while it was "working". I have attempted to turn it by hand when the car is off, and i could rotate the center where the silver nut is. This does not spin while the car is on and the AC is on full blast.

Type of Hvac climatic or climatronic?
Im not 100% sure. The controls look exactly like this one.

What was the compressor shutoff codes when set to max cooling?
Here are more images of the readings, with both AC on and off.
https://imgur.com/a/qm4knwY

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
This one has been tough for me to figure out, given the location of the part and the fact that i never observed it while it was "working". I have attempted to turn it by hand when the car is off, and i could rotate the center where the silver nut is. This does not spin while the car is on and the AC is on full blast.
The compressor shaft should always be turning with the AC on or not unless the compressor has seized and then the breakaway pulley is supposed to then breakaway and freewheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The compressor shaft should always be turning with the AC on or not unless the compressor has seized and then the breakaway pulley is supposed to then breakaway and freewheel.
Ok so reading about the clutch a bit, i think i see your point. The center of my compressor seems to not spin at all, and i can easily spin it by hand when the car is off. So this would strongly suggest the clutch broke away. I am curious what this means in terms of what should be replaced. something caused the compressor to seize. so I assume replacing the clutch will just result in another broken clutch shortly after. So should i go with the entire compressor, which then means i also need to do the accumulator. While i am at it, might as well replace the expansion valve just to make sure everything is solid?

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Take the serpentine belt off but mark the rotation direction of the serpentine belt before doing it, so if the used belt is still good you can go and reinstalling the belt in the same direction it has been running in.

Spin the pulley by hand and see that the center shaft of the compressor actual moves with the pulley, you can put a socket or wrench on the center shaft and see that it turns along with the pulley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take the serpentine belt off but mark the rotation direction of the serpentine belt before doing it, so if the used belt is still good you can go and reinstalling the belt in the same direction it has been running in.

Spin the pulley by hand and see that the center shaft of the compressor actual moves with the pulley, you can put a socket or wrench on the center shaft and see that it turns along with the pulley.
Ok, so i was prepping to remove the serpentine belt for testing this, and something just did not seem right to me, when looking at the compressor compared to some of the photos i have been seeing online of my compressor model. So i put a camera down there and sure enough, it looks like there are some problems.
https://i.imgur.com/jIAmAk8.mp4

Front plate is off, parts are missing, looks like the pulley broke away.

I am feeling pretty confident now that i need to get everything replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Broken AC

I am currently working on an 06 GLI with a similar issue (pulley break-away has broken). After copious reading, I came to the conclusion that everything except the lines and the evaporator should be replaced (at least that's what I'm doing). That's the compressor, condensor (which typically includes the drier), and the expansion valve. Lot's of parts, but can be purchased for $300.

Also, a flush should be done of the old components that are being reused.

After that, my biggest hassle has been getting the correct o-rings.

Your system is at 9bar/150psi, it certainly isn't leaking so the standard rule is to have a shop recover the R134 out of the system.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Ok, so i was prepping to remove the serpentine belt for testing this, and something just did not seem right to me, when looking at the compressor compared to some of the photos i have been seeing online of my compressor model. So i put a camera down there and sure enough, it looks like there are some problems.
https://i.imgur.com/jIAmAk8.mp4

Front plate is off, parts are missing, looks like the pulley broke away.

I am feeling pretty confident now that i need to get everything replaced.
So you confirmed the that the center shaft does not turn and the compressor is seized or did the cover plate come off? If its seized you need a new comp, TXV, condenser/dryer and a complete flush of remaining parts at a minimum is needed. Please do not vent to atmosphere, totally illegal it needs to be reclaimed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.