VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My g/f has a 2008 Wolfsburg. Sometimes on start up there is a very weird noise. It sounds like something is getting grinded while it spins. It lasts for about a second or two and then no noise. It doesnt happen all the time. I would say it only happens about 20% of the time. On occasion, when the noise happens, the car does not start. It happened to me last night while starting it up at a funeral home. it was so loud, it idled for about 10 seconds, and then slowly died.
anyone else have similar issues. gonna hook up vag com tonight hopefully and see if there are any codes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: Extremely weird/loud noise at start up (Runin2Rich4FSi)

sounds like the solenoid on the starter is going bad. it could be malfunctioning, causing the spline to stay out for those few seconds, giving you those horrible noises.

·
Registered
445 Posts

Iam having the say problem.
but mine also jerks bad when it downshifts (D) and on (S)...

·
Registered
322 Posts

If your cars are sticks look under the car at the flywheel area, check for grease being flung out of the dual mass flywheels. they may have over extended causing a loud destructive banging noise. Have seen this on a few new cars now.

·
Registered
322 Posts

disregard then

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Extremely weird/loud noise at start up (vdubtech398)

I get the exact same sound!
Very frustrating!
I took it to the dealer, they said it was normal...
I'm going to find a new dealership.

·
Registered
17 Posts

yes,
Mine (2008 vw Wolfsburg) did the same a while ago and then yesterday when taking it in for an oil change at the dealer it did it repeatedly and thankfully my service manager witnessed it doing it real bad. I am in a rental car now while they are checking it out. Nothing on computer scans so far. 28000 miles on odo. how many miles do you guys have with the same problem? VW factory should be notified

Modified by Vettel Schumacher at 9:33 AM 10-7-2009

·
Registered
17 Posts

Yes will do ,
I am waiting for my service agent to call me back. Great guy to work with: Roger Kilian at Classic VW Escondido. He has previously solved undetectable issues on my car by getting the right people involved. Dealers like this are hard to come by these days
Bill (expert) started looking at it after lunch today. They asked me if I had long cranking problems. Investigating pin hole leaks in the fuel delivery system

Modified by Vettel Schumacher at 2:30 PM 10-7-2009

·
Registered
17 Posts
The VW service Tech going around to dealers all over the country ( Bill) checked out my car yesterday at Classic VW in Escondido. He could not reproduce the problem but thankfully Roger the service expert (used to work for Porsche and knows a lot) could give him an accurate explanation since he witnessed it himself. Billy ordered a new fuel pump. There are two pumps. A boost pump in the fuel tank that goes on when you open the car door and then it primes the system for quick starting. The second pump runs on one of the cams of the engine as Roger explained to me. They ordered a replacement for this pump. Bill explained that is the only thing that he recons it can be. This guy is good and was involved in solving complex issues on my car before with the DSG shifting and climatic control so I hope he found the source. The pump will be here Friday so we will see if it all works out

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rich you should have made your gf get the car from Anthony down the street from where you work. Then you wouldn't have had this problem. Too bad he recently quit.
Just playing - I hope you get this resolved. Frank didn't have any ideas on this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts