VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen eyelids for a Phaeton for sale? How hard would they be to fabricate? I'm thinking I could do it from fiberglass the easiest, but was wondering if anyone had already.
After trying that, may look into a very inconspicuous single or double front corner splitters. They have universal sets here:
http://www.grounddynamics.com/...hYN=N
But I wasn't sure if a real Phaeton set was offered, though I highly doubt it.
-Thanks

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Re: Eyelids for a Phaeton? Front splitters? (tynee)

Hello Andrew:
I have not heard of anyone doing either of the two modifications you have mentioned - so, if you go ahead, you will be a pioneer.
I don't think that fitting a 'splitter' would have any functional value - VW tested the car extensively at speeds of 180 MPH and found it to be very stable. European owners of the W12 regularly cruise at 250 km/h (155 MPH) without problems.
Michael

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Eyelids for a Phaeton? Front splitters? (PanEuropean)

Thanks, Michael. I really am thinking about trying the eyelids project, since they are small pieces and attachment won't require irreversible changes to the car. I was thinking maybe I could start with a set from a vehicle with similar-style headlight fixtures as the Phaeton, but the closest I could think of is the Toureg; maybe an A-8, would have to check it out.
As for the splitters, they too would be only cosmetic. I would be tackling pieces small enough not to disrupt the air flow around the car, merely enhance the good looks!

·
Registered
614 Posts

When you said eyelids I immediately knew you were referring to what we call in Maryland a brow.
Never heard of them being called a wind-splitter or eyelid. They serve no functional value, it's just for looks (Michael).
If you go ahead with the brow/eyelid post a pic. I haven't seen it done on an A8 or an Phaeton before.
It's hard to get away with the sport look on a Phaeton it might not mesh well. But you're better off just spray painting a piece of tape the same color as your car, then placing the top in a brow formation (that's really all those after-market parts are doing) that way you can get an idea of what it would look like beforehand if you decide to purchase.
PS: As far as "universal" goes. Nothing is universal for the Phaeton.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
614 Posts

I knew we could depend on Fred for some excellent photoshop work.
I actually think the brow looks good. I might consider this as well. Tynee I'll be following you on this one to see the end result.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Eyelids for a Phaeton? Front splitters? (Paldi)

Went out today and got two vinyl products specified for exterior vehicle applications. One by 3M and one by somebody else. 3M was $7.50 for a section 30" x 18", the other brand was $2 for 24" x 24".
They both look fairly glossy and somewhat durable. Since I am in FL, we'll see how well that glue holds. I'll try to get to it this weekend and post some pics.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Re: Eyelids for a Phaeton? Front splitters? (PanEuropean)

Michael:
You've been on a roll lately with the jokes guy. You must have had a nice vacation or something? That or a shi+ load of hot women staying at your house for the month.
Fred:
To each his own, but the silver trim actually looks good in my opinion. But whatever works for you.
<takes back credit for photoshop job>

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Re: Eyelids for a Phaeton? Front splitters? (derrickonline)

Frustrated car stylist me, I know... I'm just ahead of my time.

Maybe you saw the black trim on the limo Phaeton?

Modified by Paldi at 11:45 PM 7-10-2009

·
Registered
614 Posts
Re: Eyelids for a Phaeton? Front splitters? (Paldi)

Fred:
The limo looks good no doubt, but with the right wheels I think the silver trim can realy set it off.
PS: They made a terrible mistake by not having a fleet of Phaeton limos, the Phaeton would have made a great limo. Far better than than those Lincoln stretch limos.

I also don't think you're going to find a match for Luna blue, you might have to get that paint code mixed somewhere then have your stuff painted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.