VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Family-Forced-to-Jump-New-Jersey-Drawbridge-440914523.html

NBC News:
A family heading to Cape May, New Jersey, found themselves in an improbable situation earlier this month when a drawbridge lifted right underneath their car and they were forced to jump the opening.
Damn :what:
A commercial fishing vessel was trying to pass under the bridge, and its radio communication was down, officials said. The bridge operator could not contact the large boat.

And they made the jump without the cop shocks and cop suspension :wave:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Pics or it didnt happen

$10k repair?! Oh ****!!!!!
Once a drawbridge in Brooklyn (Hamilton Ave) was going up before the signal even came on. It freaked all of us in traffic out, there were even some vehicles ON the bridge at the time but no one drove past 1/4 of the way up. So I kind of don't understand...they were stopped on the edge between the part that lifts up and the bridge itself or driving at such a slow rate of speed?

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you watch the video, you can see the reporter was standing right next to the said vehicle. Looks perfectly normal. Doesn't even look stanced :laugh: But I'm sure it's a mangled mess on the underside. Kinda surprised the struts didn't punch through the strut towers and dislodged the hood.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If you watch the video, you can see the reporter was standing right next to the said vehicle. Looks perfectly normal. Doesn't even look stanced :laugh: But I'm sure it's a mangled mess on the underside. Kinda surprised the struts didn't punch through the strut towers and dislodged the hood.
Agreed. I'm surprised with that $10k worth of suspension and subframe damage, the front end wasn't sagging or something.

·
Registered
88,273 Posts
I have some experiences with.. um... jumping cars and landing on the front wheels.
Both times it just bent the suspension components- no shock damage.
Maybe if you had it perfectly level to the ground ten feet up and dropped it.. that might do something.

And I don't believe the $10,000 in damages for a minute, unless the are drivetrain issues too.
But that is a very nice round number...

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Won't be surprised if the family is feeling it in their backs right about now.

A while back I was riding shotgun when my brother backed into a metal pole. Not hard as in causing damage. Just a bump. No visible signs of damage on the bumper, unpainted bumper covers FTW :thumbup:

But I was feelin' it in my neck the next day. So yeah, the family should see a doctor as a precaution.

·
Registered
2009 WRX, 2003 Baja
3,838 Posts
I guess it's better to jump it than wait for this to happen:

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 FieSTa
9,765 Posts
Reminds me of Midtown Madness on Win98, only this wasn't Chicago. He did better than Jackie Gleason in his Parisienne.

I can believe $10000 in damage, I'm sure the whole structure and the strut towers received quite a jolt.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Y'all are being just a little harsh toward a family who could have all died because of sun glare and inoperable radios, goodness. It's not like they are all wearing neck braces and talking millions in hospital bills, it's $10k to fix their car for crying out loud. Adding insult to injury, they haven't heard a peep from the responsible parties so they had to turn to the dumb news station to get some fire lit under their butts. Don't act like any one of you wouldn't have slightly padded the numbers of repair costs to cover any potential "gotchas" and things like a rental car.

·
Registered
88,273 Posts
I'm looking at pics of the open bridge, and I really don't see why he thought that he had to do that.
This bridge?

That is fairly steep.. would a vehicle not slide back?
Hard to tell.
But I seriously doubt it was up very high when he jumped it.

·
Registered
88,273 Posts
Y'all are being just a little harsh toward a family who could have all died because of sun glare and inoperable radios, goodness. It's not like they are all wearing neck braces and talking millions in hospital bills, it's $10k to fix their car for crying out loud. Adding insult to injury, they haven't heard a peep from the responsible parties so they had to turn to the dumb news station to get some fire lit under their butts. Don't act like any one of you wouldn't have slightly padded the numbers of repair costs to cover any potential "gotchas" and things like a rental car.
There was a failure in the bridge operation- for sure.
They definitely need to address that.

But a question for you.
You are driving across a small draw bridge and realize the bridge is slowly lifting up.
Do you:

-Stop and reverse back off the bridge (at any speed).
-Floor it and jump off the edge of the bridge hoping for a good landing.
-Stop and hope the car can stay put with the bridge all the way up.

Note he "feared their car would fall backwards onto its roof. Or worse, into the water below".
I'm not even sure that's possible with him driving off the bridge.
If the bridge had been up higher, the car would have flipped over on its roof when landing.
Based on the vehicle damage and lack of injuries, the bridge could not have been very far up when he intentionally drove off.
Also note nobody else was on the lifting bridge- the cars behind him must have all seen the "bridge raising/stop" lights and actually stopped.
Though this may have been another "sun glare" issue.

·
Registered
41,755 Posts
This bridge?

That is fairly steep.. would a vehicle not slide back?
Hard to tell.
But I seriously doubt it was up very high when he jumped it.
It wasn't. It started opening when he was on it. There was a quote somewhere that it opened 3-6 feet. There's no way that car would have no front end damage if it fell from higher than that.

Funny how many people see that image and assume that's the position it was when he drove off.

Also hard to say what the alternative would have been if he would have stood on the brakes and waited it out. When fully open, is there a gap at the bottom, or would it be a one-way trip to slamming back into the roadway at 45 degrees.

While I think that $10K estimate was speculation, what would be the lesser of two choices? Take the chance going for it, or taking the chance what your car will stay put?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.