VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does it come with the BAE turbo kit? How did it drive with it? Finally a red interior you can eat off. :thumbup:

Jim
Yes, I'll throw in the turbo kit. However, it was removed after it leaked persistently at the manifold flange. I disassembled it to repair, and found one of the three ears on the cast iron turbo flange was cracked and broken off. I have never had luck getting a cast iron part welded, plus I really wanted a completely stock car in the first place(this car deserves to be kept stock), so I ditched the turbo. It sure did wake it up under boost, but driveablility is much better in stock form. I should also note that the throttle body had been replaced with a larger single round blade unit with an adaptor, and is still installed(I haven't sourced a clean used stock T-body yet) so a few of the vacuum lines are routed differently.

Thank you for the compliments guys!

·
Registered
27,889 Posts
Really wish my wife didn't have two cars in the garage. :banghead:

I remember it was a big deal the GTi had a tach. :D My first new car was a 1983 Rabbit L I bought in May 1983. Had an upshift light.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Couple Questions

Very nice stock GTI.

How long have you had it?
What was the mileage when you picked it up?

Can you hold onto it until I'm ready to buy it? (Half serious)

Very jealous.

GLWS

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Beautiful car and a very fair price, all things considered. Makes me miss mine, which was the same color combo. Hope it goes to a good home :beer:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone!

I purchased the car in April of this year for a summer toy, it had 57,700 miles at the time. It was bought new at Kalamazoo motors here in Michigan, and I am the 3rd owner. I had a red on red '83 GTI back in the early 90's, and this car helped me re-live a little bit of my youth. I guess I have a case of automotive ADD, I love the car but there are many others I'd still like to own and I can't have them all at once!

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
hot damn

this is like the elle mcphearson of rabbits, i likey:heart:

·
Registered
27,889 Posts
I was behind a Mk. 1 GTI at a light in Manchester, CT last year. I was in my JSW. I just thought how tiny the GTI was. :p

I was at a store in town a couple of years ago and saw an old Honda across the parking lot. I just thought," wow! a 1970s or early 1980s Honda Civic. In great condition. Can't believe how small it is."

Walked to the car to check it out. Saw the badge: an Accord. I then thought, wow! This is the BIG Honda."

Looked to be a first generation Accord, 1976 - 1981.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was behind a Mk. 1 GTI at a light in Manchester, CT last year. I was in my JSW. I just thought how tiny the GTI was. :p

I was at a store in town a couple of years ago and saw an old Honda across the parking lot. I just thought," wow! a 1970s or early 1980s Honda Civic. In great condition. Can't believe how small it is."

Walked to the car to check it out. Saw the badge: an Accord. I then thought, wow! This is the BIG Honda."

Looked to be a first generation Accord, 1976 - 1981.
Yeah, it's sad how big and bloated modern cars have gotten.

What a nice looking GTI. Mine will never look this nice unless a really big pile of money fell on it. GLWS!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts