VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Does it come with the BAE turbo kit? How did it drive with it? Finally a red interior you can eat off. :thumbup:

Jim
Yes, I'll throw in the turbo kit. However, it was removed after it leaked persistently at the manifold flange. I disassembled it to repair, and found one of the three ears on the cast iron turbo flange was cracked and broken off. I have never had luck getting a cast iron part welded, plus I really wanted a completely stock car in the first place(this car deserves to be kept stock), so I ditched the turbo. It sure did wake it up under boost, but driveablility is much better in stock form. I should also note that the throttle body had been replaced with a larger single round blade unit with an adaptor, and is still installed(I haven't sourced a clean used stock T-body yet) so a few of the vacuum lines are routed differently.

Thank you for the compliments guys!

·
Registered
29,939 Posts
Really wish my wife didn't have two cars in the garage. :banghead:

I remember it was a big deal the GTi had a tach. :D My first new car was a 1983 Rabbit L I bought in May 1983. Had an upshift light.

·
Registered
I have a thing for Mazdas
7,332 Posts
Beautiful car and a very fair price, all things considered. Makes me miss mine, which was the same color combo. Hope it goes to a good home :beer:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone!

I purchased the car in April of this year for a summer toy, it had 57,700 miles at the time. It was bought new at Kalamazoo motors here in Michigan, and I am the 3rd owner. I had a red on red '83 GTI back in the early 90's, and this car helped me re-live a little bit of my youth. I guess I have a case of automotive ADD, I love the car but there are many others I'd still like to own and I can't have them all at once!

·
Premium Member
4,681 Posts

·
Registered
29,939 Posts
I was behind a Mk. 1 GTI at a light in Manchester, CT last year. I was in my JSW. I just thought how tiny the GTI was. :p

I was at a store in town a couple of years ago and saw an old Honda across the parking lot. I just thought," wow! a 1970s or early 1980s Honda Civic. In great condition. Can't believe how small it is."

Walked to the car to check it out. Saw the badge: an Accord. I then thought, wow! This is the BIG Honda."

Looked to be a first generation Accord, 1976 - 1981.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was behind a Mk. 1 GTI at a light in Manchester, CT last year. I was in my JSW. I just thought how tiny the GTI was. :p

I was at a store in town a couple of years ago and saw an old Honda across the parking lot. I just thought," wow! a 1970s or early 1980s Honda Civic. In great condition. Can't believe how small it is."

Walked to the car to check it out. Saw the badge: an Accord. I then thought, wow! This is the BIG Honda."

Looked to be a first generation Accord, 1976 - 1981.
Yeah, it's sad how big and bloated modern cars have gotten.

What a nice looking GTI. Mine will never look this nice unless a really big pile of money fell on it. GLWS!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.