VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with rods currently going in my car, ported AMU head with supertech package. im trying to pick a turbo. im looking for about 300HP with very low end, but I would like top end too, hopefully the +1mm valves would help with 5k+ rpms.

anyways the cost is almost identical for a cast non-tubed T3/T4 manifold, tial wastegate, and GTX28rs 72.ar
this way i could swap turbos more easily, and im guessing ill get more power.

But I always loved the F23 package with there manifold... there price is great.

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
interesting choices here. i'd go with the gtx28rs setup for turbo flexibility. the f23 setups are solid, but thats as far as your turbo options go which is fine for some :thumbup: also, i think you'd make that power much easier on the gtx setup with a t3 inlet & external gate

·
Registered
492 Posts
Not sure which turbo your are talking about? There is a GTX2860r, a GTX2863r, a GTX2867r, and a GT28rs. The GTXs will pull all the way up to 30-32 psi with the new compressor blade technology. The GT28rs is an older version, but still a nice little turbo. Of the four the GTX2860r will give you the best spoolup.

However, the F23 will be there much quicker than the other four.

If you want an instant hit, stoplight pullaway, go with the F23. If you don't mind a little lag with better up top, then the GTX2863r would be a good choice. Picking a turbo is always a decision on what is most important to you, throttle response or increased power accumilation.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not sure which turbo your are talking about? There is a GTX2860r, a GTX2863r, a GTX2867r, and a GT28rs. The GTXs will pull all the way up to 30-32 psi with the new compressor blade technology. The GT28rs is an older version, but still a nice little turbo. Of the four the GTX2860r will give you the best spoolup.

However, the F23 will be there much quicker than the other four.

If you want an instant hit, stoplight pullaway, go with the F23. If you don't mind a little lag with better up top, then the GTX2863r would be a good choice. Picking a turbo is always a decision on what is most important to you, throttle response or increased power accumilation.
Didn't [email protected] mention developing GT2868rs or something !
I might be wrong though

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Didn't [email protected] mention developing GT2868rs or something !
I might be wrong though
The 2868 was developed by forced performance; although Arnold (Al) does produce a lot of innovative shizzle.

Did you check his new turbine housing's? Kinda like the tial housing's; only in stainless, and offered in oddball ar's like 70mm

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
there's 2 things i'm really looking for.

I want to zip up too 45mph swiftly barely touching the gas

But mostly running through the gears with scary acceleration to a common person

Remember i'm getting a ported head with +1mm valves so I feel that should help with my to top end.

Thanks for your input guys appreciate, leaning on gtx2867rs but its tied with F23

·
Registered
492 Posts
It is a tough decision. I've got the same head setup as you do with a 2.1 stroker.

I'm going with the F23 for now, but I may pull my eliminator off the shelve and put a HTA2868 compressor wheel in it just to see what it will do with my build....maybe next year.

·
Banned
5,700 Posts

That's the F23 for ya! Did that yesterday to a new friend and only @17psi! Power is on right away and holds till redline

·
Registered
77 Posts

Remember i'm getting a ported head with +1mm valves so I feel that should help with my to top end.

Thanks for your input guys appreciate, leaning on gtx2867rs but its tied with F23
What software are you gonna run?

i personally was in the same position you are now but a few months back.....

i made the choice of the F23 and im really happy with the results. All what you are saying is what this turbo provides. Just cause you dont have any other options for turbos later, doesn't mean much cause there are tons of other mods you can do still. so basically you will have throttle response and top end all together. :)

i also went with Eurodynes software package and it was an awesome choice with this turbo. it didn't make much sense to buy another software package that is a couple hundred less for no adjust ability as you do in eurodyne. Eurodyne also has a great software base file that opens the setup great....and to think there is more tuning after that to get more!.....

Oh and Doug - owner - was great as well. Awesome service!

send me a pm if you have any questions bud.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Money wise, the F23 will be the way to go. You can use the extra money to purchase some cams to make that Supertech stuff work to it's fullest capability. Put some water/meth stuff on there, and enjoy it. You'll be at 300hp easily, and have a very streetable turbo to play with. Just remember, the GTX28RS is a great turbo, but it's also spendy. $1200 for the turbo, and another 300 for the turbine housing. Now you have to get the manifold, plus all the other goodies to make it work. The F23 comes with the majority of the stuff you need to make it work, and the price is great.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
FV-QR

I really don't think the extra 1mm in valve diameter is going to gain you very much.

I have had a large turbo car and a F23 car, the F23 is great hits 25psi at 3450 and holds till 7200.

Get a good FMIC as the small frame turbos typically make some hot air.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im referring the supertech package taking me to higher RPMs if choose to go gtx..
I will be running Apr software w/ v band temporarily until I go with another tune. I also wanted to go E85 flexable when I choose injectors and fpr buy that's allot to think about right now.

F23 is starting to come out on top

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
i love my f23, its a lot of fun around town, definitely puts you in the seat... highway pulls are strong too, as long as you set it all up right... good fmic, w/m injection, a relaly good tweaked tune

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I didn't read through the entire thing.. But the F23 does get pricey when you start to get a list together. When I was pricing out a F23 kit for my car, tune, buying the manifold and all the bells and whistles to go along with it. I was just like $300 off of a 50 trim kit from CTS. F23 is an awesome turbo, but after getting everything you're like wtf I shoulda just spent $500 more for a baller BT kit :confused: decisions

·
Registered
26 Posts
I didn't read through the entire thing.. But the F23 does get pricey when you start to get a list together. When I was pricing out a F23 kit for my car, tune, buying the manifold and all the bells and whistles to go along with it. I was just like $300 off of a 50 trim kit from CTS. F23 is an awesome turbo, but after getting everything you're like wtf I shoulda just spent $500 more for a baller BT kit :confused: decisions
this is true

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats my point, F23 is awesome, great money, but i mean i will have rods and and a supertech package, shouldn't I just fork out a little more to take advantage of the ported AMU, valves, and rods?

Revving to the 7500s was always a dream to me but F23 wont be effecient around there i believe

The BT problem right now is selecting a T3 manifold piece, there are plenty of cheap cast ones, but they look like a warping nightmare considering most of them dont have gaps between each exhaust port.

im not looking into W/M at all, I dont really want to spend hours on tuning my W/M injection and then having to refill methanol time to time. I wanna keep things simple and budget oriented.

I got about 2700, I say Gtx28rs $1450 hook up, Kinetic T3 manifold - $500, tial WG - $150, 800ishcc injectors and adjustable FPR(trying to be E85 switchable)$400, inline pump - $100. leaving me with just a little bit of money to dig up a intercooler somewhere, thinking a Mishimoto w/ custom piping or a kinetic

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
I got about 2700, I say Gtx28rs $1450 hook up, Kinetic T3 manifold - $500, tial WG - $150, 800ishcc injectors and adjustable FPR(trying to be E85 switchable)$400, inline pump - $100. leaving me with just a little bit of money to dig up a intercooler somewhere, thinking a Mishimoto w/ custom piping or a kinetic
plus

downpipe, exhaust to new downpipe, software, more expensive inline pump, oil lines, water lines, misc hoses, gaskets, and fittings, and other stuff i'm not thinking of

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
^^^ yes, but many of those things you still have to get with the f23. like software, possibly an inline if you want to, the exhaust is also a given

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.