VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Re: Factory alarm and aftermarket alarm (v b chil-n)

You actually don't want to have anything to do with the stock alarm if you are adding an aftermarket one. You'd have numerous problems with trying to make it work. You would do best by removing(unhooking) the stock one and using it as a cat toy or perhaps a paper boat anchor. What you are looking at if you want to make your aftermarket alarm lock and unlock your doors, as well as close your windows are finding and tapping into the correct wires. The best way is to get ahold of a factory manual so you can just get the color codes. This would save you hours and hours of time trying and testing to get the right wires...if not, you can try the hard way. The wires to unlock your doors run right to your drivers (and passenger) door handle. That is why you can lock or unlock your car via the key. There are 3. One wire tells the pump (located in the trunk-left hand side behind the strut tower and carpet) to create the vacuum to lock it. The other to unlock, and finally the power (or ground) for the two operations. The hard way of finding what does what is by simply pullng your panel off the door, and taking the putting power to the unpowered wires. One will lock, the other unlock. Some European cars actually use a Ground wire as the source of creating the power/ground loop. Meaning, you could actually put power to the Lock/unlock wires, and nothing would happen. If this is infact the case, then you simply put a Ground to the two wires, and that will create the required loop to get the desired function. Once you find what color coded wires do what...just pop on back to the pump, and run your alarm wires to the correct relays(if needed) and then right into that wire by the pump.
The same applies to you power windows, sunroof, power trunk etc. You would simply go the switch, find what does what, and then go back to the motor, and tap the correct alarm wire to the desired function wire. Depending upon your alarm, you might have to add relays in order to make the desired function work, as some functions require a certain amount of electricity to operate(sunroof motor, windows, Etc.) The alarm brainbox doesn't have the power to do some heavy load.
features. The 25 word low down on alarm install. Anyways, if you don't understand something, let me know. Cheerz

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Re: Factory alarm and aftermarket alarm (v b chil-n)

I bought and had installed, a CodeAlarm system when I first bought my car. After a few months, a bad alarm brain, a non-programmable FOB, and bit of confusion with the programming intructions, I got the thing working exactly as I want it, and its integrated witht the factory alarm. It locks and unlocks all doors, pops the trunk, and sends a pulse to the pump to unlock the doors when you turn the ignition off. My wife had me do the last one, cause she was tired of getting locked in the car when you turn the ignition on...I hadnt programmed it to pulse when you turn it off up till now. I can program a long pulse into the thing, which will open all of the windows when you disarm, and close them all when you arm it, but I figured I really dont need all of the windows down when I first get in. It would be ok to have the long pulse when you arm it, like if you got out of the car with all of the windows down and sunroof open, cause it would then close them all, but I cant program the pulse only for arming. Oh well, I can live with it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Re: Factory alarm and aftermarket alarm (b4after53b)

I have a Cliford security system and my installer has both working fine. I have all the features, auto start windows up and down roof control auto locking .
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.