VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Factory CD Changer Skipping - Can it be fixed???

543 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  PanEuropean 
#1 ·
I have a 99.5 Jetta GLX with the factory 6 disk changer. About 4 months ago it started skipping - since I didn't listen to it much, I thought it was scratched CDs. Well now it seems to happen quite often. I tried a CD cleaner (with the little brushes on the CD) but it doesn't really help... I also tried to blow air thru the cartridge opening with an air an - no real difference. It's an intermittent thing, but it will skip with new CDs that are perfectly clean so I'm sure its not a CD issue - but the problem is in the player.
So how have people solved this - taking the unit out and taking apart and cleaning?? I can't find info on the archives - so please post some solutions.
thanks!

#2 ·
Re: Factory CD Changer Skipping - Can it be fixed??? (VW_Zen)

They are hard to get apart, but if you want to try to do so, take the bottom cover off and you'll see the PCB. The PCB is held on by several sscrews and a metal bend tab. Gently disconnect the ribbons and remove the PCB. You might be able to wipe the laser lens with a long tip cotton swab from there. GENTLE is the key word here.
I really don't recommend doing this and won't take any responsibility for your actions.
There are no adjustments and very very little you can do to these changers to fix them. Once they go bad, dump it in the trash and buy a new one.

#3 ·
Re: Factory CD Changer Skipping - Can it be fixed??? (VW_Zen)

Zen:
Have you checked to see that the unit is correctly adjusted for vertical or horizontal mounting? I know this is kind of a 'dumb' thing (like, really basic), but there is an adjustment that needs to be made, depending on whether or not the remote CD unit is mounted standing up, or held sideways. Maybe the installer forgot to check this when he/she installed it.
Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.