VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: factory CD player (Superman)

i don't think golf/jetta's did, but i believe corrado's did.
however i could quite possibly be totally wrong.

·
Registered
12,784 Posts

a stock radio from a G3/J3 will fit in your a2...even an G4/J4 radio will fit. i have taken out many a3-a4 radios at my shop and have examined them carefully..all DIN sized..and all VW radio plugs are the same from like 85 and up.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts

YES! They most definately did, it is rare! It is called the Volkswagen Gamma CD player Premium Audio and cd changer control. It is a normal in dash cd player and looks just like the stock tape deck. I saw pics of it last month so you might be able to find them still if you search. Try a search for Gamma and see. I don't know what countries got it and i imagine that it was only available on A2s in late years or maybe only on corrados probably depending on country. The one that i have seen had writing in english on it.
----------------------------------------
found it: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=142510
see the pics. I might have been wrong, that might be for an A3, but i thought i remembered it being stock in A2s as well. Anyhoo it will fit and work fine...VW did not change the connector for the stereo since 1985 so that means that they are ALL interchangable.

[Modified by lucaq, 12:53 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
4,490 Posts

I have a A3 factory clarion headunit in my A2. It fits very nicely and looks good. The reason that I got it is because it has CD changer controls on it. I then got a clarion CD 6 disc changer and put it in my hatch. I now have a changer, tape deck (as if I'll ever use it), and the AM/FM radio. Thats all I need at least. I put some aftermarket Pioneer speakers in the factory locations and then put two sony explode 6x9 speakers in the rear parcel shelf. Hey it works for me. It has all the creature comforts I need and is low key so nobody even thinks twice when looking at my cars stereo. Nobody would want to steal it anyway

·
Banned
26,760 Posts
Re: factory CD player (lucaq)

I sure wish I could find a stock VW CD player- those lonnnng green LCD screens get me...
Only problem is it wouldn't work with my Sony 10disc changer in the trunk, and no preouts for my amp.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Re: factory CD player (NightFlyerGTI)

Yeah I think the A3 ones are Clarion and the A4 headunits are Panasonic. I also have a A4 headunit sitting in my room that I can't figure out what all of the wires on the back go to. I have the speaker positive and negative wires figured out and the power and antenna but there is something else and I can't figure it all out. Well anyway back top the topic. Yeah I like the green lighting it matches the rest of my car nicely. I bought the changer after the headunit so I could make sure and get one that would work. I had to get a PIE adapter (I think that is what it is called) to go from the changer cable to the headunit but all worked out good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts