VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (Veedubw0nder)

look for a bottle of "forever black" It's a bumper dye with a sponge applicator and it works awesome. I think its available at most VW dealers, if not look for it online. I had faded vinyl on my bumpers and trim and now they are jet black.

·
Banned
1,976 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (h2ovwtunerGLi)

show polish and forever black didn't do much for me... but I did find this Eagle One stuff at GI joes, or any auto store that worked great. The downfall is you have to apply a LOT.
Also, just before car shows I use peanut butter (sounds weird) - it also rids of the wax that can get on the black trim as well, not to mention water spots on window seals and my side mirrors are lookin hella new.

·
Registered
26,662 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (LitleDee032)

Kiwi leather dye. No, really.

It has worked far better than Forever Black for me, at 1/10th the price. I admit I wouldn't mind a slightly more matte finish than it provides, but it lasts much better than anything else has.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (SeattleGLI)

the shoe dye works, but not as nicely as another product. go to autozone, or whatever you have nearby and buy black bumper paint. its flexible spray paint and makes the bujmper look brand new. i painted right over the silver trim strips on the bumper and it looks great. doesnt come off any of it. do it on the car, or off. i'll take a picture if you want it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (Mugs)

auto glym or whatever makes this universal tire dressing stuff that works absolute wonders. we have it at the dealership. they use it in the detail shop for all the new cars and used crap that we get it. it totally transforms the cars.

·
Banned
4,913 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (euro GTX)

Griot's garage makes a very nice bumper paint that is applied with the applicator portion of the bottle.....
Prep the surface and away you go....it lasts a great while and through the winter......then you re-paint the following year by stripping the vinyl and starting from scratch....

·
Banned
379 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (h2ovwtunerGLi)

quote:[HR][/HR]look for a bottle of "forever black" It's a bumper dye with a sponge applicator and it works awesome. I think its available at most VW dealers, if not look for it online. I had faded vinyl on my bumpers and trim and now they are jet black.[HR][/HR]​
You can get this at rapidparts.com..i just order some today actually......

·
Registered
2004 MK4 Golf 2.0, 2006 K1500, 1985 442, 2012 Ford Flex EB
3,083 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (j.edward)

The Kiwi Leather Dye works GREAT, I tried all the expensive rubber shinings Stuff out there always makes it look great for about 2 days but the Kiwi is like $2 at Big K and looks great and has lasted. Kinda messy gotta apply it evenly or it looks like $hit!

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (eightvalvejettacarat)

i just used some of my Dr. Martin shoe polish, and it worked great, i washed it with hand soap, and dried it with a rough towel and it still looks great. its $8.99 but there is like 3 times more than in a can of reg. shoe polish.
Dave

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (vwsteve)

I use KIWI leather dye on both my VW and they have held up so far in the FLorida sun and rain. I might need to apply more since I didn't apply as much to save some. I might redo it again after the next car wash or something on my Quantum. Becareful that it doesn't get on the body color strip on bigbumpers

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (Aw614)

I actually just tried polishing mine for the first time today... wish I had read this first. I used tire cleaner, and the bumpers and trim looked GREAT... until it dried.
It was also a major PITA to keep the stuff off the paint.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Re: Faded Bumpers and Trim... (Veedubw0nder)

I find the Forever Black works real well. It comes in a two step proccess; you clean the surface 1st to remove anything including SILICON (ugh) that prevents it from sticking. I found my 81 Roc took only 1/3 of the bottle to apply and this was going over every thing twice just for fun.
I think the real key to maintaining the finish is to spray the cured Forever Black with something like Klasse or other vinyl restorative w/ UV protection. Lasted through three Califonia winters with just a touch up spray after washing.
TBerk
(this forum needs spell check.)

[Modified by TBerk, 11:36 PM 8-6-2002]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts