VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a MK3 GTi with with textued moldings that seem to be showing their age a bit. The worst example is the texture on my rear bumper. Here's a pic to show you what I'm talking about. Keep in mind that I don't have any kind of glaze or dressing on it in the picture.

Here's two pics of the spotting on the front bumper.

Even when I apply a dressing or a shine to it, the rear bumper still appears faded and the spots on the front still show through.
Are there any kinds of dyes or stainers that will bring them back to a near original color and shine?

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Re: Fading and stains on tetued moldings, any way to remedy? (VertigoGTI)

Try rubbing it down with rubbing alcohol and a terry towel .. ir that doesn't do it .. I use a product called "Forever Black Tire Gel" on the lower valancs of my B5.5 which looks like the sane texture. Its a wter based dye that you apply and it lasts for months.
The first pix was taken last week and the dye was applied in early March .. the second pix was taken a day later after I applied another layer. It gives a nice matte black finish. They also make a dye for bumpers etc but I have never tried it. http://www.foreverblack.com

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Fading and stains on tetued moldings, any way to remedy? (Jesstzn)

That looks like the finish I'm trying to achieve. Where did you pick the Forever Black treatment at? I'm pretty sure that our local Pep Boys and AutoZones won't carry it.

·
Registered
366 Posts

You should definitely try a very thorough cleaning first. I would scrub with a diluted all purpose cleaner/degreaser and a stiff brush. Rinse well then wipe down with alcohol and allow to dry. I've used Forever Black Trim Dye to restore severely UV faded trim on a Jeep Wrangler and it worked good; some streaking but at least it was black instead of white. Your spots aren't nearly as severe so I would think a good cleaning and treatment would suffice. I use einszett's Tiefenpfleger on all my exterior trim. It is somewhat detergent resistant and lasts for a couple of washes. There are lots of trim care products that I haven't tried that may work for you though. I've heard good things about Autoglym Bumper Care and Meguiars Trim Detailer. 303 Aerospace would also be a good choice. You should visit the 303 website and get a free sample to try.
Also, you can find the einszett and Autoglym products here. For Forever Black visit Classic Motoring Accessories.
Good Luck

·
Registered
11,507 Posts

You might have to order it on line .. I have seen it in a few places.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

FWIW, I just turned my body colored trim black by painting them with a product called Bumper Color. They look factory new, and I also used the chance to re-adhere them to the car. Let me know if you want details of the procedure.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Fading and stains on tetued moldings, any way to remedy? (BlueGTIguy)

Most definitely, all and any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

1. Mark position of trim with small pieces of masking tape.
2. Remove trim (it's either clipped on or stuck on with adhesive).
3. Clean adhesive residue from both body and trim itself (I used 3M adhesive remover).
4. Scuff trim with 400 grit.
5. Clean thoroughly (3M adhesive remover works fine).
6. Paint trim with Bumper Color, several thin coats.
7. Let dry 1 hour or so.
8. Clip trim back onto car (if it has clips) OR, use 3M double sided adhesive tape (get the heavy duty, exterior use stuff; red backing).
9. Use a lot of pressure once it's positioned correctly; once you do this, it's relatively permanent (you might damage your paint if you try to remove it now!!!).

This same treatment works nicely for faded door handles too.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Alright, thanks! Looks like I'll be busy this weekend!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

Just a word to the wise, I like the way it looks, but you may want to try spraying something else first to determine whether or not you like the look. It probably won't look exactly factory. Plus, a little practice for an irreversible procedure is NEVER a bad idea.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Gotcha, I have a broken VR6 chin spoiler that I'll try it on first.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

As far as I know, there is only "one" refinish system that a vehicle manufacturer has used and it was for "warranty" concerns.
That is important, since once the vehicle manufacturer tests and approved it, they are on the hook for entire warranty period of the vehicle.
The ValuGard ETR-II kit, used by Hyundai (Technical Service Bulletin available for your review) and Mazda (not on the about to be revealed site, but was used on several thousand new vehicles and no problems), may be seen at http://www.autoint.com under the OEM/TSB section of the site.
Plus, it is being offered at a big savings for a short while.
This is what true professional detailers, as well as dealership use to fix the problems created by their untrained employees.
Take a look, it is not "shoe polish" nor does it require masking and spraying, etc.
Ketch http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Fading and stains on tetued moldings, any way to remedy? (ketch)

Ok, you got my attention Ketch. What's the cost on it?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Hang on a few days.
We have just made the major changes in the website and at least it is looking a bit better.
I gave the "go ahead" to put the kit on sale, on the site, again, today.
We have a lot of work to do on the site, but the "specials" go on the front, "home page" and will be up there in a few days.
The "retail" on the kit varies, depending on the area distributor.
We normally retail it for around $80, but understand, ONE kit will do the trim on 80 to 100 vehicles.
After all, we are not a "consumer oriented" company, but deal with large car dealers, vehicle manufacturers, etc.
If I recall, the "special" on the site will have it under $50 and free shipping.
Sort of like the special that is up there http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif now, the pads alone are worth more than the selling price, so the 30X magnifier and compound, polish and wax are basically free.
Ketch

1 - 14 of 14 Posts