VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a common problem, but my calipers are looking a little faded, almost pink, and I was just wondering what you guys used to re-paint your calipers?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Re: Fading Calipers....what did you use to re-paint them? (shimmy2244)

Are they clean and still looking pink?
Mine were looking dull, so I detailed them with the same steps for detailing a car's body panels. Wash, swirl remover, glaze, wax. They came out dark and shiny red.

·
Registered
13,069 Posts
Re: Fading Calipers....what did you use to re-paint them? (Cynic65)

Quote, originally posted by Cynic65 »
Are they clean and still looking pink?
Mine were looking dull, so I detailed them with the same steps for detailing a car's body panels. Wash, swirl remover, glaze, wax. They came out dark and shiny red.

x1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
hehe i work at a car dealership mine get spray waxed once a week

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I used meguirs cleaner wax on mine and they look deep and rich red now.
I coated them and let the wax dry for about 1hr and then simply buffed the isht out of them by hand with a terry towel , they look new again , dont do a ghetto repaint its not necessary

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: (DKGRNVR6)

another thing....keep in mind if you repaint dirty calipers you run the risk of them chipping...i had a friend who just popped off the wheels and painted and the paint was flaking off in a couple weeks. better to keep the base coat clean than have to add multiple coats. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Re: Fading Calipers....what did you use to re-paint them? (Duby T)

Waxing doesn't last
You need a polish with some level of abrasion and lots of elbow grease to cut through the oxidized paint

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Re: Fading Calipers....what did you use to re-paint them? (Shinex1)

High speed buffer and some coarse compound does the trick nicely. The buffer is the key to doing it right. It literaly should take two minutes to do each caliper, nothing more.

·
Registered
12,129 Posts
Re: Fading Calipers....what did you use to re-paint them? (NOLA_VDubber)

Quote, originally posted by NOLA_VDubber »
High speed buffer and some coarse compound does the trick nicely. The buffer is the key to doing it right. It literaly should take two minutes to do each caliper, nothing more.

A mild compound at 1400-1800 rpm's will do the trick to cut thru all the garbage on there and then run over them again with a wax and they should look pretty good. Maybe even a quick coat of spray on clear coat. It will help the look last longer than usual. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.