VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Is this likely to be covered still at 20,000 miles?
-Keith

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Re: Failed rear armrest lid latch... (VWAddict)

Quote, originally posted by VWAddict »
-Is this likely to be covered still at 20,000 miles?
-Keith

mine is broken too and is in my dresser drawer. going to dealer to pick car up today, will ask on your behalf (as well as mine lol). stupid armrest.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Re: Failed rear armrest lid latch... (VWAddict)

This just happened to me as well. Second time the car wash guys have broken something on the interior of the car. I am hoping it will be too just haven't had enough of a reason to drop the car off.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My latch borked too, the spring popped out, the latch just flopped around. This was at 20K, a few months back.
Livermore Audi wouldn't cover it.
I got some velcro and lined the underside of the lid and the storage area base.
Thats my fix.

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,583 Posts
Re: (Bezor)

Funny that this thread is up right now... I just noticed mine broken today too
@ 15k (miles)

Edit: Oh wait mine isn't in the rear though (I don't think that's been used more than 3 times, lol); my front one is broken...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Re: Failed rear armrest lid latch... (JLT)

Quote, originally posted by JLT »

mine is broken too and is in my dresser drawer. going to dealer to pick car up today, will ask on your behalf (as well as mine lol). stupid armrest.

So what did the dealer tell you?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Re: Failed rear armrest lid latch... (lawless)

Mine is broken and they refused to fix it and labeled it as a wear and tear issue and attempted to charge me $600 to fix it. DO NOT GO TO LEN STOLER AUDI IN MARYLAND. EVER.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Re: (lawless)

My dealer would not fix mine either (front armrest)

They said they would give me the part for free as a "goodwill" gesture but I'd have to pay labour. Sounded fine until they told me how labour was gonna be like $70 LOL. As if, the thing takes all of like 45 seconds to pop out and put in a new one
I know because I popped the lid off on mine to glue the latch back but it just broke again because it's ABS which can't be bonded. Actually it's ABS + polycarbonate (which is why the glue held for a little while I guess) but still not able to bond well.
Amazing this should fail on a 1yr old car. I can't wait to see what happens when my Open Sky latches go and they won't cover those. Is there anything that won't fall apart on this car? LOL.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Re: (Audi'sRevenge)

Here's how I fix broken plastic parts:
Rough up broken edges with sandpaper. 120 grit or less.
Scratch edges with razor blade in cross-hatch pattern.
Drill some small holes in edges if the material is thick enough.
Lightly sand again if needed for parts to fit back together well.
If any adjacent areas will not be visible, sand and scratch area for addition glueing surface.
Glue together with JB Weld by forcing glue into holes, scratched surfaces, and adjacent areas of both parts and then clamp parts together.
JB Weld will usually work well but Devcon Metal Welder works better than anything else for adhesion to hard plastic. It's harder to find than JB Weld though. I've done extensive testing with epoxies and specialized plastic adhesives and the Devcon Metal Welder beat everything for peel strength.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Re: (MisterJJ)

Quote, originally posted by MisterJJ »
Here's how I fix broken plastic parts:
Rough up broken edges with sandpaper. 120 grit or less.
Scratch edges with razor blade in cross-hatch pattern.
Drill some small holes in edges if the material is thick enough.
Lightly sand again if needed for parts to fit back together well.
If any adjacent areas will not be visible, sand and scratch area for addition glueing surface.
Glue together with JB Weld by forcing glue into holes, scratched surfaces, and adjacent areas of both parts and then clamp parts together.
JB Weld will usually work well but Devcon Metal Welder works better than anything else for adhesion to hard plastic. It's harder to find than JB Weld though. I've done extensive testing with epoxies and specialized plastic adhesives and the Devcon Metal Welder beat everything for peel strength.

The part is tiny, there's no way this method would work, but thanks. Plus ABS can't be bonded period I don't think, not even with JB weld. The holes might do it as you say, but you would be trying to drill holes of like 1/128" here LOL.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Re: (mj22)

Quote, originally posted by mj22 »
I'm on my 4th arm rest latch(all replaced free of charge) and I just had the one in the back seat fixed which holds in the cup holders. These should be covered with no issues.

Really eh? Your 4th front one?
This is stupid that some dealers aren't warrantying it then. Warranty is supposed to be universal because it's covered by the manufacturer, not some screwjob where the dealer tries to get $$$ out of you

Any Canadian (specifically GTA) dealers that have covered this? If I have to take my car to an Audi dealer across the border for this, that's what I'll be doing. I'm sick of the standard Canadian screwjob when it comes to cars

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.