VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the fake exhaust on their Tiguan and used the space from the fake exhaust for real exhaust tips. Hate the fake exhaust and would like to have real exhaust tips in that section of the rear valence!

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,895 Posts
Check the what did you do to your Tiguan thread, some examples there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
Has anyone tried to take the stock exhaust and "modify" it (simply) by just adding "some parts" to the ends that are there now?
Even if we had to cut a small section off (so it isn't initially pointing down)?
There are tons of dual tipped ends that are available....

Just asking...

Bob.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what I would like to know. I just want to pop out the fake exhausts blanks and have my mechanic just extend some tips out the back from my stock exhaust. Not looking for a full one R exhaust or anything else. Just a small tweak of what is already there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to include the mechanic part as he the fabricator, welder and master of all things mechanical.

Your friend should be able to come up with something easily especially if you are going to keep the OE muffler. There will be work regardless as you have to remove the fake cover per video.

Friend's son helped fabricate my design for my son's 08 C30. The exhaust tubing was purchased from O'Reilly. If I recall correctly I just found a long complete pre-fab exhaust tube with the number of bends needed as they are cheaper. The one I used was for an early model Ford van around $20 and we cut it up. Exhaust tips were from Amazon.

DC Sports EX-1013 Performance Bolt-On Resonated Muffler Slant Exhaust Tip - $22.39

Material property Cylinder Automotive wheel system Rim Auto part

Tacked and ready to weld. The unequal length and sized tubing gave this a great deep rumble and pops also. Had very, very little room under the car beside very short distance from the cut exhaust to the back of the car. Not the best bends nor prettiest welds but can't see it.

Automotive tire Wood Wheel Tire Bicycle part
Automotive exhaust Plumbing Gas Bumper Auto part
Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Wheel Car

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan SE R Line Black
115 Posts
I'm looking at this unit from the MK8 GTI Clubsport. It only has one outlet per side but it sounds good.
The Tiguan wouldn’t require the new valance because the fake exhaust ports are wide enough, although you would have to lengthen the pipes slightly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I initially was planing to do just that (extend the tail pipes of the stock suitcase muffler and add dual tips). After laying out the shape of the pipes that would be needed to get them perfectly even out the back I realized that since this mod was only for looks and it’s the ladies car anyways I came up with a way to get the look I wanted with much less work and the benefit of getting them to sit perfectly symmetrical since that was one of the elements that took us a good amount of time to get right on the custom exhaust we built for my 19 GTI.

Cliff notes : purchased tips for under $100, welded some 16gauge stainless scrap metal to the tops, Drilled and bolted to the underbody flange.

End result was to replace fake plastic tips with fake metal tips, haha. *you cannot see that they are fake either unless you are under the vehicle.

Hand Watch Leg Drinkware Thigh

Hood Light Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
Brilliant!

How much more work would it take to actually "connect" the two.
I see bolt (or studs) for your "brackets", what was involved there?

Looks Awesome!

Bob.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To truly weld the tips to the suitcase it was roughly going to take about 4 to 5 pie cut welds to get the angle right per side (without a shop that has a bender). Flex pipe wouldn’t work to hold the tips in place and if you bolted it like I did and connected to the exhaust you would be transmitting vibrations into the car since the tips are not isolated with rubber hanger.

I just clamped the brackets in place and drilled mounting holes then just used some nuts and bolts with lock washers.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts
I'm not saying to use the flex pipe to hold the tips in place.
I love what you did!
What I'm saying, is the form yours is now, could you connect a flex pipe and finish the connection?

I used to have access to a master craftsman at the plant I worked at, but that was 5+ yrs ago (retired).
I would have to see what I could do to manage the brackets for the tips (and I might choose a little different tips (not crazy about the "bluing", sorry)).

I do not like the fake tips and would settle for your solution in a heartbeat, just wondering if there is a good (easy) way to finish it off....

Great job!

Bob.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, if you did connect them with flex (would need to be extremely flexible) they could transmit vibrations to the car so you would need to modify the hanger connections with some form of rubber isolators.

no need to apologize, car mods are all personal preference and for this car I wanted the style to match my GTIs exhaust I made , haha.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, if you did connect them with flex (would need to be extremely flexible) they could transmit vibrations to the car so you would need to modify the hanger connections with some form of rubber isolators.

no need to apologize, car mods are all personal preference and for this car I wanted the style to match my GTIs exhaust I made , haha.
View attachment 151407
View attachment 151408
I love it!

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
669 Posts

View attachment 151407
View attachment 151408
Any interest in helping me with a similar setup?
I'm old, but I appreciate great cars!
I would supply the tips (shipping back and forth) and pay for the modification..
You seem to have some really good mechanical engineering skills...

Just curious..

Bob.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I initially was planing to do just that (extend the tail pipes of the stock suitcase muffler and add dual tips). After laying out the shape of the pipes that would be needed to get them perfectly even out the back I realized that since this mod was only for looks and it’s the ladies car anyways I came up with a way to get the look I wanted with much less work and the benefit of getting them to sit perfectly symmetrical since that was one of the elements that took us a good amount of time to get right on the custom exhaust we built for my 19 GTI.

Cliff notes : purchased tips for under $100, welded some 16gauge stainless scrap metal to the tops, Drilled and bolted to the underbody flange.

End result was to replace fake plastic tips with fake metal tips, haha. *you cannot see that they are fake either unless you are under the vehicle.

View attachment 151360

View attachment 151363
View attachment 151362
View attachment 151361
View attachment 151359
What tips are those?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts