VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've all but decided on this as my next set based on a combination of price, size availability and a 300 treadwear rating. just looking for personal experiences that any of you may have had.
i'm coming from (reverse chronology) bridgestone re-050A, khumho ecsta SPT, bridgestone S-02 (x2). fitment will be 215/40/18 on 18 x 8.5". i have always ran a 225 until i started rubbing with my most recent application.
anything you can contribute would be much appreciated.

edit: on a side note, i've been told that falkens tend to run a little narrower than other brands. can anyone confirm this?? narrower is just fine with me - looking to avoid the rub!

Modified by scottydog at 6:57 PM 3-19-2008

· Registered
12,738 Posts
Re: falken fk-452...... (syntrix)

Quote, originally posted by syntrix »
Assuming these replaced the 451, IIRC that was more of a touring tire with a lot of bang for the buck.

More like a tire with a lot of tread separation.
I wouldn't take those tires if you gave 'em to me.

· Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
24,902 Posts
Re: falken fk-452...... (silverA4quattro)

Quote, originally posted by silverA4quattro »

More like a tire with a lot of tread separation.
I wouldn't take those tires if you gave 'em to me.

I can burn 4th gear right now with Michelins. Are you saying I could spin in 5th gear with these?

· Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
24,902 Posts

You could spin the tread right off of them.

I'm sold!
So you agree they aren't really on the end of performance, but a great value for a touring tire

· Registered
5,952 Posts

i have 4 sitting in my gauge right now waiting to be mounted this saturday; 215/40/18 on a 18x8 wheel.

· Registered
12,738 Posts

I'm sold!
So you agree they aren't really on the end of performance, but a great value for a touring tire

I'm really just not a fan of Falken tires in general. Maybe their quality has improved recently, but I saw too many folks with delaminated treads to trust them.

· Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
24,902 Posts

I'm really just not a fan of Falken tires in general. Maybe their quality has improved recently, but I saw too many folks with delaminated treads to trust them.

Specifically 452's and not some other Falken tire?

· Registered
12,738 Posts

Specifically 452's and not some other Falken tire?

No, not the 452s. The Ziex 512 and the GR beta 451's. I read about problems with them, one particular guy I remember had 3 or 4 delam. before he just gave up and got new rubber.
It's possible they've addressed those issues and I can't directly speak of the 452, but I've always preferred certain brands and never had issues with bubbles, tread separation, etc.
Specifically Dunlop, Continental and Goodyear have always treated me well.

· Registered
RS3, Forester
23,395 Posts

I'm not so sure that statement is accurate:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com...96193

Technically, it's an Ultra High Performance Summer tire. If people want to sub class it into a "touring" category, that makes no sense. A touring tire is a tire that is designed to be quiet, comfortable and long lasting. The 452 is not engineered to have any of those as a top priority. I just put a set of staggered set on a 745Li not an hour ago and in no way would I ever tell that customer it's a great touring tire.

· Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
24,902 Posts

I can see that Chad! I'm sure they are the "new" 451's. Mine started to chunk on the edges a bit over time, but I would drive at over 100% of tire traction on a daily basis.
So I'm anxious to see how the 452 stacks up now http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
185 Posts
I've had 452's on my acura and loved them, they hold a good grip on the tarmac and do very well in the rain too. Besides, on a less important note, the tread looks good!!!
I got another set of them for my 19" that will soon go on my GLI. I have nothing bad to say about them.

· Registered
3,158 Posts
Re: falken fk-452...... (cros)

Quote, originally posted by cros »
i have 4 sitting in my gauge right now waiting to be mounted this saturday; 215/40/18 on a 18x8 wheel.

x2 for me http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.