VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the dreaded fan and ac issue. But I’m not sure how to proceed. I’ve tested almost everything And replaced Almost everything(somewhat at least).

So I got the car 3 years ago. Ac has never worked, coolant looked like crap, fans didn’t work, ac didn’t work. Ended up flushing the whole coolant system, replace the fan control module(used from a junkyard), replaced the fan switch(oreillys auto), and replaced the fuse box. My fan then worked, ac did not. Found I had no ohms when testing the clutch(system pressure tested good on a cheap gauge). However after a month my fans quit again. Havnt messed with it due to my car never overheating. I’m pretty sure my thermostat is stuck open, I have a new one but just haven’t replaced it. I decided I’m tired of this 95-100* heat so I want to get my ac going. So I went and tested everything again.

Both fans work, low and high if I bypass the fan switch.
Have 10v going to the ac clutch, it does not engage if I run power straight from the battery.
Have 11v to the fan switch.
My ac button lights up,
Ac clutch resistance is .1 ohms(probably definitely bad).
One thing I found weird is it seems I have a constant voltage to the ac clutch. Even when the key is not in the car.(not sure if that’s normal).
I’ve check the fuses and fuse box, all 6. No signs of over heating.

I’m curious is the cheapo fan switch failed already, or if the module can affect the switch if it bad. My car isn’t in the best shape, and I really don’t want to drop 500$ just to get the ac going. I can get a new clutch for 70, fan switch is 80 for oem. But I’m worried even if I replace both them I have to replace the module again(oem is like 250$).

One other thing, the other plug running into the compressor(not sure which switch this is) the wired look like utter crap. How ever I did test, and I have 9v running to it and a good ground.

What would you guys do first? Is there anything I’m missing repair wise? It’s a 2001 golf gls 1.8t. 130k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update. I purchased a new thermoswitch, didn’t seem to do anything. I then finally found the ambient air sensor. I jumped the pin and a few minutes later my fans started to kick on and off at idle. However, my fans still do kick on if I turn the ac button on(when not running)and turn up the dial. Does anyone know if the fcm can sense a bad clutch? And just doesn’t allow the fans to turn on to low setting?. I will be testing the Freon levels tomorrow. Is there any other sensor that could prevent the slow setting on the fans to work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s fixed(kind of). Had a bad high pressure sensor. Went to the junkyard. 1 dollar later and my fan run on low. May have had a bad ambient sensor also. Replaced that for good measure also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.