VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up peoples!...i havent been on for awhile because my laptop went out but i just bought a new desktop.
Anyways i read the searches and actually attempted to remove the fan blower to test it. i wanted to test the selector switch inside but got lazy. so it can be either 3 things correct?...the switch, the motor, or the resistor?
it's not a big deal because the cabbys are pretty warm inside with the windows up, but once in awhile if i drop the top, it would be nice to have a little more heat.

· Registered
999 Posts
Re: Fan blower not working!! (waterboy86)

Those would be the major componets. There is also a fuse #14 that's for the blower motor and glovebox light. I had to replace my blower motor last year in the dead of winter. Not cheap at all for a new one. I believe I got mine for around $250 and that was the cheapest in the area.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
humm....yeah i forgot to mention the fuse...which i DID check!!..interior light works fine...okay so i just wanted to get another perspective on it...
time to visit the local JY, but believe me- i will not be paying 250 dollars...lol!

· Registered
999 Posts
Re: (waterboy86)

I wouldn't suppose that you would have much use for one in cali, but in Wisconsin it's pretty darn important. Particularly, if the car is your daily driver. I decided to go with new because I was not sure if it was the resistor or the motor and the new one came as a package deal. Also, I did not want to have to go through all of the removal process again in a couple of months. Good luck to you on your junk yard hunting.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah!! in cali, it's always good to have extra heat because at night, when everyones rolling down their windows because it's too hot in their stuffy,ugly honda or toyota...i drop the top and throw on the gloves....
heading out to jy tomorrow....

· Registered
6,491 Posts

The problem in my '82 was simply a broken brush retaining spring. I repalced both, since the one was broken. I just used springs of approximately the same dimensions from variety spring kit I had around. May just be a cheap and easy fix!

· Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,379 Posts
Re: Fan blower not working!! (waterboy86)

pic content deleted, incorrect for the car. 2 be continued.....

Modified by tolusina at 7:01 PM 12-2-2006

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks for diagram tolusina...i DO have my bentley...lol
found out it wasnt the motor...it fired right up when tapped to the batt.
also replaced the switch from JY but that wasnt it either...so now i have a question about the resistor...first- how do you remove it from the three yellow wires ? it looks as though i need to solder a new one in?!?... AND- is there a way to hook up the switch without a resistor or will it always run on high?

· Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,379 Posts

waterboy86 (6:25 PM 12-2-2006): hey whats up?
tolusina (6:27 PM 12-2-2006): ?
waterboy86 (6:32 PM 12-2-2006): oh..check my post for fan switch...i just posted because i didnt get a response right away...i should be MORE patient!!
tolusina (6:39 PM 12-2-2006): does your fan operate now on high speed, not on the other three?
waterboy86 (6:44 PM 12-2-2006): it works when tapped to the battery...made 2 leads pos and neg...works!!...but i believe it's the resistor..or maybe something else...there's not a relay on the fuse box for the fan is there? everything looks okay for the switch...there is a grove for the harness to the switch which i matched up but nothing happens...the new(used) switch i got today has 4 settings as opposed to the normal 3
tolusina (6:50 PM 12-2-2006): Ok, back up a bit, know I know why I haven't posted to your thread before.
1) What year is the car?
2) Does the car have AC? If yes, factory or aftermarket?
3) Full symptoms please.
4) Do you have a bulb type test light?
5) Do you have a DVOM or other multi-meter?
waterboy86 (6:55 PM 12-2-2006): sorry bro....lets fast forward....87 cabby..no a/c..the fan blower for fresh air is working when tapped...no action from switch on inside panel. and yes!! you replied to "fan blower not working" today at 6:20 p.m.
Now help me...LOL
waterboy86 (6:56 PM 12-2-2006): i do have multi meter no bulb test light
waterboy86 (7:00 PM 12-2-2006): okay i see you posted to gasparj back ion 5-16-06 about the paper clip thing...i am searching...

waterboy86

First, correct schematic for the car........

Do the wipers, rear defogger and headlights all work?
If those are good (rear defogger optional), with your multi-meter, check for voltage on both sides of the fuse, S14. Check for power at the black/red terminal of the fan switch, look for burning or corrosion on the wire connector.
Paper clip jumper (paper clip may heat up, especially when testing high speed) black/red to white for low speed, black/red to yellow/black for medium speed, black/red to yellow for high speed.
If red/black is dead, use any available fused power source.
(Non AC cars have only three fan speeds, AC cars have four)
Ground connection is at one of the multiple grounds beside the relay plate.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay...so i pulled out the ole' multimeter..havent used it in awhile....checked for power at red/blk wire-has 12 volts...jumpered the red/blk to all available connections and nothing...so that leads me to the resistor again...so does anyone know how to change out the resistor?

· Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,379 Posts

Resistor should be soldered in.
The resistor is fully bypassed in high speed. I'm thinking you have an open circuit elsewhere, possibly AT the resistor, but with testing done so far, not definitely THE resistor.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah it sounds like an open circuit somewhere now that i think about it but as i stated...there is power going to the switch on the dash, so maybe the ground is loose or bad to the fuse box or somewhere in the harness behind the dash....
i dont really want to rig it to run on high all the time but at least speeds 1 and 2 would suffice for now.
you know, since i started messing with it, it seems like the heat is coming through more..lol

· Registered
510 Posts

I'm having issues with mine as well. I just switched out the whole fan with a newer used one. It worked fine for a few days but now it only works on 3. I switched the fan switch with a spare and got the same results. Anyone know where I can buy just the resistor? It looked pretty crispy.

· Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my thing is- i dont "really" need it but, it's an added luxury yah know?....
so i think i'm going to look for the open circuit somewhere but it must be behind the fuse box if not then yeah that resistor must be totally gone....

· Registered
6,491 Posts

Quote, originally posted by waterboy86 »
my thing is- i dont "really" need it but, it's an added luxury yah know?....

I was the same way. I'm slowly elminating leaks, and I've gotten the carpet and underlying sound deadening pretty well dried out, so the defog isn't as important as it was. However, it's much nicer to have it working. It now blows, but the blend doors are all f-ed up. Oh, well. It gets heat into the car. I'll get around to swapping to a non-A/C heater box before too long. Right now I've got a blend door or two rigged to get air where I want it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.