VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Golf R, 2020 Cayman T
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go for a drive last night and all is well, this morning I go to leave for work and as soon as I start the car the rad fans start up. I shut the car off and they turn off immediately, but as soon as I start it, they come right on. It did the same thing when I left work this evening. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Re: Fans won't turn off... need help! (VRado6)

Fan control module is either soaked,and the contactors are going nuts. Or the contactors are just melted together.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Re: Fans won't turn off... need help! (RPTOFNDR)

or the fan temp switch in the bottom of the radiator under the battery. Mine was damaged by battery acid and eventually gave up the ghost.That is how it started.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well nothing is wet, and the connector and wires look fine with no signs of melting. Although when I was checking it this morning I noticed that the back of the fan motor gets REALLY hot within like 20 seconds of being on. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Re: Fans won't turn off... need help! (3v1l_c)

Quote, originally posted by 3v1l_c »
...or your a/c is on homie

yup or your defrost, either way your AC in engaged and kicks the fans on automatically.
To test, simply turn all the HVAC to off, should kill the fans.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Fans won't turn off... need help! (cramer)

The vents and A/C are off, the rad fans are still on.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

mine goes on whenever I turn the ignition on (no AC nor defrost). I 99% sure its the fan control module(or connector associated with it) However, everything else works fine so I dont worry about it yet.
PS
I know that there is some sort of "kit"; pretty much everything you need to fix fan control module as the anwser to all the problems/recalls about it. I dont have the part number.. anyone know something about this??? I know someone posted this whille ago but now my search is down..

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I found the problem! There is a sensor of some kind next to the top of the rad by the battery that is connected to an A/C line. The wires leading to the sensor had apparently had a small run in with the fan and had mashed them together. I pulled the wires apart and fixed the insulation that had been rubbed off with some electrical tape, and then zip tied the wires so they can't come in contact with the fan again. I started the car up and VOILA! The fans were no longer starting up right away. I did a quick test and turned the A/C on full and the fans clicked on so all seems to be well now. Thanks for the tips everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts