VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that every couple of weeks there is a question regarding roof racks. I work for a Thule dealer and consider myself knowledgeable about their car rack systems.
Thule developed a specific rack system that will fit Jettas, Golfs, and the 3 door GTI. This also includes the Jetta coupe as well.
The model #305(pictured blow) includes the foot pack, load bars, and locks.

**The 300 will work because it a universal rain tray design, however the 305 is a more specific designed rain tray design for mkII. It is more advisable to use the 305.**

Compatibility, Restrictions, and Miscellaneous Facts
-165 lb load capacity
-5" bar clearance
-The max barspread is 34"(longest distance between the front and rear load bar that the car is capable of achieving).
-A 41" load bar is included with the racks and longer bars may be substituted.
-A 13mm wrench is required for install.
-Luggage baskets #581 and #582 are not compatable.
-Storage box #627 or The Weekender Box are not compatable.
Fairings
Thule since 2002 redesigned their fairings to be more rounded and less square looking. Although the rectangular ones still exist, it is increasingly difficult to find one with all of the parts needed for mounting. Since then the they have a more rounded snowboard looking fairing. The fairing suggested for the rack is the #871 Medium
Old style:

New style:

From here you have many different options for carriers. Thule offers bicycle trays, ski/snowboard carriers, water sport carriers, luggage, and storage options. You are limited to a 41" load bars so some things make take up most of your space. The only other limitation to carriers are the specific carriers listed above(581,582,627).
If you have any questions regarding the rack systems, spare parts, or accessories for your rack, refer to http://www.thule.com or check with your local Thule dealer.
Please ask me questions, but don't ask me for discounts on any Thule products, I am not a forum sponsor so therefore I am not obligated to give you a deal.

Modified by the wayfarer at 2:50 PM 1-2-2009

Modified by the wayfarer at 11:16 AM 2-2-2009

Modified by the wayfarer at 11:44 AM 4-13-2009

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Re: FAQ: Thule Roof Racks for MK2 (the wayfarer)

Someone was bored at work...Good info EVERYONE can use. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
added info: if you do procure an old style (555) fairing and you mount it as shown in the picture with the rubber strip on the roof, it will eventually rub the paint off the roof at that part. slide the whole thing forward so that the strip lays on the windshield. voila!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I've added this to the DIY thread. Good infos in there.

·
Registered
25,085 Posts
Re: FAQ: Thule Roof Racks for MK2 (the wayfarer)

Quote, originally posted by the wayfarer »
Compatibility, Restrictions, and Miscellaneous Facts
-165 lb load capacity

FWIW I've loaded up mine to ~200lbs without issue (13'10" sailboat with dolly and rigging, strapped side to side and front and rear) even at highway speeds.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: FV-QR (ratdub)

Quote, originally posted by ratdub »
quick question: will feet kits (300 iirc) from rabbits and vanagons work on a2's?

The 300 foot kit looks as though it may work, it looks similar to my older oem foot kit. It sits in the rain gutter the same way, the only thing I would be cautious of it how it grabs into the rain gutter.
Quote, originally posted by Boostin20v »

FWIW I've loaded up mine to ~200lbs without issue (13'10" sailboat with dolly and rigging, strapped side to side and front and rear) even at highway speeds.

165lbs is the max weight for the roof to with stand. The weight is distributed through the A,B, and C pillars. Anything over that may result in your roof collapsing. If you wanted to haul anything over 165lbs, I would suggest getting a trailer.

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
Re: (the wayfarer)

I've got this setup:

but I need keys for my locks... is that something that you can help with?
I bought it used off of craigs list. this guys brother had taken the rack off of his GTI in like 95 - then the car got totaled and the racks sat in his brothers garage; now I own them.
but, no key.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is a number on the lock itself (for example: N088) that is also the number key. These two numbers have to be the same corresponding with the lock and key. Go here and the type that number, http://www.thuleracks.com/prod...thule. I suggest you also buy a Universal Change Key. It makes life easy.

·
Registered
15,750 Posts
Re: (the wayfarer)

Quote, originally posted by the wayfarer »
There is a number on the lock itself (for example: N088) that is also the number key. These two numbers have to be the same corresponding with the lock and key. Go here and the type that number, http://www.thuleracks.com/prod...thule. I suggest you also buy a Universal Change Key. It makes life easy.

I tried their website ket thing; my lockset is apparently too old and turns up no results.
I'll have to look at it later when I get home; I keep meaning to send pics directly to THULE and plead for help....

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.