VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: FAQ: UrQuattro vs Sport Quattro vs Coupe quattro (DUandCC)

In Europe we also had the Audi Coupe Quattro. 136hp KV series engine (plus some 120hp cat strangled later cars). Visually identical to the GT, except that the centre console had the diff lock switch panel that the 4000q had, "quattro" decals on the rear side windows, "quattro" in the rear screen heater element, front and rear "quattro" badges, and a twinpipe exhaust. It was also slightly lowered with respect to the GT. Also some of them got the fibreglass bootlid that the later UR quattro's got.
It is essentially a 4000q with a GT bodystyle. They built 9,500 of them (approx) 1985-88.
I suspect that as they got 136hp, and the US spec UR quattro's got 160hp, AND as the gearing is lower on the Coupe quattro, that the European Type 85 CQ's would not be much slower than the US UR quattro's. Except on ultimate speed.
For more information on the type 85 Coupe Quattro, the predecessor to the type 89 Coupe Quattro, have a look at my website http://www.kvquattro.com.
Plenty of nice pictures of the Coupe Quattro on this page : http://www.kvquattro.com/gallery.html
A footnote to this : Some of the "sport" quattro's that people have are not. There are possibly as many homebuilt "sports" as originals out there, the donor car used to make Sport replica's is very often a Coupe Quattro (plus an early Audi 80). The Dialynx "sport" started life as a CQ.
A Coupe Quattro (original Audi Press Photo)

Modified by beermonster at 7:36 AM 3/23/2006

Modified by beermonster at 12:46 AM 3/25/2006

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: (WAUOla)

Yes an d i hope you know not bad...
just one point i'd like to make, and feel free to laugh if you want...
Id have thought that to point out the cars discussed in this thread, you'd pick pics of standard ones...not that the pics up top arn't great to see, they don't really help in the uninitiated...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: (mik_git)

Earlyer urquattro:

Later urquattro:

Sport quattro:

Coupe GT & Coupe quattro:

Coupe GT5S & Coupe GL:

These are the standard ones, there are also one-offs and other rare ones like the Treser ur-quattro cabrio.
Enjoy yourselves

Modified by urquattro83 at 2:56 PM 3-28-2006

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Re: (WAUOla)

U.S. sales figures for the urq 1983-1986
Officially, the urq was first for sale in 1982, but it was low key.
1983 was the first year that Audi made it known that they were available
Between '1982 and '1983, 525 cars were sold.
In '1984 65 cars were sold.
In '1985 73 cars were sold.
In 1986 1 car was sold.

I'm working on the info for the sport quattro.... stay tuned.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts
Re: (StormChaser)

Quote, originally posted by StormChaser »

OMG! I think I need new boxers... Why can't we have the late UrQ here? They are SO F'IN GORGEOUS!

The only visible difference between the early and late URQ is the sloped headlights, the black tail lights and the 8x15 Ronal R8 rims. In other words, it's very simple to make an early car look like a late car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: (Sepp)

Quote, originally posted by Sepp »
U.S. sales figures for the urq 1983-1986
Officially, the urq was first for sale in 1982, but it was low key.
1983 was the first year that Audi made it known that they were available
Between '1982 and '1983, 525 cars were sold.
In '1984 65 cars were sold.
In '1985 73 cars were sold.
In 1986 1 car was sold.

So just 664 cars were sold?
is that all? why so few?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

Think there was two vehicles that was delivered to the US.
Both PerL and I has an overview of all vehicles delivered, which
originates from a book back home in my bookshelf...
Either Per posts tonight, or I will tomorrow.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts

These cars were delivered to USA as brand new:
(ch.nr, color, production date mm/dd/yr)
033, red, 3/12/85
035, red, 3/15/85
037, red, 3/12/85
039, red, 12/13/84
057, red, 4/2/85
058, red, 6/19/85
190, white, 12/20/84
194, green, 12/17/84
198, green, 2/19/85
208, white, 3/7/85
Rumours has it that Frank Beddor, Jr, the founder of Audi Club North America, owned 5 of these. One of the Sqs originally sold in USA now resides here in my hometown, imported by a local who has brought it over from Florida, where he has lived for the last few years. I believe it is one of the red cars, I have not yet seen it.

Modified by PerL at 1:25 PM 10-6-2006

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Re: (PerL)

The Beddor family does own at least 4 because the father, two sons and daughter each own one.
Pics of them have been in the Quattro Quarterly.
Seems like 3 of them are red and there was one odd ball (non-red).

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Re: FAQ: UrQuattro vs Sport Quattro vs Coupe quattro (radgti8v)

Yes, there is a gent named Bill Bremer, he's located in Maine, and he runs the Quattro regisrty.
He takes volunteered information regarding the car year, VIN, location, color, modifications etc, and has compiled a data base. Most of which is confidential, based on the owners certian requests.
For example, he informed me last year that there 49 1985 ur Quattros registered with him, but speculates around 40-45 cars of that model year actually exist, as some of the registered cars data is a bit old.
He probably might already have info on your car!
If interested in contacting him, let me know.
I encourage all urQ owners to contact him, as he might be able to pass on some great info, such as where the car has been, modifications, accidents, etc.

Modified by Sepp at 2:16 PM 1-16-2008

21 - 40 of 48 Posts