VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Re: (voorat)

Quote, originally posted by voorat »
I'm in S.A and VW never released the Golf 3 syncro so spares is none existing. We do have however alot of the Audi S3 2002's. I do understand that this is essentially haldex and that it's the same but will the Rear subframe fit the golf 3. Yes I know I have to modify brackets mounting points maybe etc. but won't the subframe be to wide for the body?

From this post, it sound's like you are asking "Can I use the subframe from a 2002 Audi S3?"
With enough time and money anything is possible. A better and easier (and probably more cost effective) solution would be to find a syncro rear subframe and do the haldex conversion listed earlier in the FAQ.
Again the Mk3, with the brackets, is a direct "bolt-in" (as far as getting the rear subframe in the car). You'll still need to figure out how to brace the rear diff as there is a mounting place in the middle. (see picture)

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
is it possible to do a syncro conversion on a mk1 scirroco ith a 16v?.. if so what will i need?
1) Please read the ENTIRE FAQ thread

2) You'll need a G60 02C (4cyl passat syncro) transmission

3) Read the ENTIRE FAQ THREAD, please

·
Registered
506 Posts
Q: Has anyone ever tried to use the audi tt rear beam and trailing arms (independent multilink) on a mk2/3 for a haldex swap? Would it still work correctly if it had to be shortened to fit under a mk2/3? (i.e. make the links shorter)

Modified by Sleeper-Dub at 4:35 PM 12-9-2009
Similar to this question...does anyone know if the audi tt Rear trailing arms etc. work on a mk4 vw?

·
Registered
18,854 Posts
Similar to this question...does anyone know if the audi tt Rear trailing arms etc. work on a mk4 vw?
Audi TT rear trailing arms will NOT "bolt-in"....they can be made to work, but with extreme fabrication. this is how i did my Haldex swap.

if you are in the Southeast i could point you to the shop that did the fab work for me. But if you can source a pan that will be much easier:thumbup:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Audi TT rear trailing arms will NOT "bolt-in"....they can be made to work, but with extreme fabrication. this is how i did my Haldex swap.

if you are in the Southeast i could point you to the shop that did the fab work for me. But if you can source a pan that will be much easier:thumbup:
That's kind of what I am wondering. I have seen the r32 floor pans grafted into golfs and jettas. I was wondering if the tt floor pan would work as well?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Are the 02A and 02M transfer cases different? are they equaly as strong? I am currently using a 02J in my mk3 with a 6 speed SQS dog gear set.. i want to reuse those gears for my haldex swap. Would i be able to stuff all that into a 02A syncro case minus the diff obviously.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Well, my plan right now is to throw my dog gears into a 5 speed TTQ case with a new peloquin, should do the trick i believe. It's based on the 02J correct?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
ok, i understand i'll have to run the octavia angle drive with the haldex rear end to match the gear ratios. If i change the ring and pinion will it not throw everything off?

·
Registered
146 Posts
quattro Q

where are the vacuum sensor for the actuating center and rear diff locks? stoped working on the way home from buying. its a 84' 4kq

·
Registered
5,276 Posts

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
This thread is in dire need of some consolodation / organisation.....
MKIV Chassis w/ MKIV Rear Haldex - if you do not want to use an 02M transmission , you can use an 02C gearbox but you will need a transfer box from an FEX Gearbox.
I recently got my hands on an FEX gearbox (Skoda Octavia 4 x 4 gearbox). Gear Ratios are as follows.

• Final Drive : 3.94
  • 1st Gear : 3.77
  • 2nd Gear : 2.06
  • 3rd Gear : 1.36
  • 4th Gear : 1.03
  • 5th Gear : 0.838

This is the Gearbox you need if you want to perform a Haldex conversion into a MKII , MKIII or MKIV chassis and do not want to use an 02M gearbox (i.e. staying in 02A / 02J / 02S family).
FEX gearbox comes with 27/17 tooth count for the angle drive which will match the 17/27 tooth count on the MKIV Rear Haldex differential.

02C - VW Golf Rallye / VW Passat Syncro = 21/20 tooth count on the angle drive & syncro rear differential has the opposite = 20/21
You can NOT mix a 27/17 angle drive with a 20/21 rear differential and similarly you can not mix a 21/20 angle drive with a 17/27 rear differential. If you plan on using an 02C gearbox in a MKII Chassis w/ a Haldex rear differential then you are going to run into problems.

Why use an 02C/02J/02S box still? Gear ratio's and combinations are endless compared to 02M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can I convert a mk5 Jetta manual to 4motion??

Sorry if this was covered elsewhere, but I ask this here as I go off to research it in the search tool.

I just bought a pair of Jetta's (with the 2.5 I5's) and I'm looking into converting them to 4motion AWD.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts