VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
Re: FARK!!! (stevelangford)

I uesd a 3" Makita angle grinder...mmmm smell the rubber bushing mely...mmmm And I'm buying a 79 bunny tomorrow so it'll be ON once again...
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Re: FARK!!! (Esher)

trust me - I had one so stuck I almost had to grind. Take a center punch style rod, and just wham it on the end of the bolt. It will come out after a while, and then you can take out the strut. sucks ass though

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: FARK!!! (caddy80)

Big CADDY: Antiseeze next time? You better believe it!
VW TANK: Thanks for the
s
VWtub: Best investment I've made so far; helped me chop up a donor car

mattmcleod: What's up with these frozen bolts? It seems pretty common. Never had any problems with any other bolts on the car.
stevelangford: Airtools? The nut twisted right off and took part of the bolt with it. The problem is with the bolt fusing it self with the bearing in the shock.
Esher: Burning rubber... mmm... reminded me of the GTG BBQ earlier in the day

driveGTI: Tried the center punch and a 5 lb sledge. Wouldn't budge.
Gregor413: Tried soaking those bolts in WD-40 and liquid wrench for several days. Didn't do anything except leave nice oily spots below them

·
Registered
3,670 Posts

MMMMMMM SAWZALL, nice tool. This is the worst job on an A1 in my opinion , and even rivals the joys of replacing the heatercore.... Well atleast the bunny gave up those worn out parts, bet it feels much better now. Has something to do with separation anxiety I think.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Re: FARK!!! (oldman)

If you have a nice big C-clamp you can sometimes stick the turning end on the broken-off bolt and the other end a little to the side of the bolt on the other side of the axle, and use a big wrench or hammer to turn the clamp and crank the bolt out. Air tools are http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Even if it does break off, you can use the air chisel to knock it out

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Re: FARK!!! (Zwoobah)

Air chisels work pretty good for getting those out, just don't booger up the rear axle while doing it. I took an old messed up bit and ground it on the bench grinder until it looked like a punch. Then I drilled a small dent into what was left of the bolt so I could keep the chisel centered. Make sure the car is on the jackstands securely!
For those who don't know what an air chisel is, think of a handheld jackhammer.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts

Peter, I'm a bit confused by what you did here. I've had to do this myself before and I really don't get why you used the sawsall to cut through the shock mount itself therefore destroying it.
I used a hack saw and simple cut upward between the outtter part of the mount and the shock, right where the rubber is. Took a while but the shock mount was unaffected at all. Pulled out the shock the normal way. I even reused the shocks by drilling out the bolt which took forever and melted the rubber. This was to put it Autotech popisicle bolts.
Use a hacksaw and save the mount dude.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: FARK!!! (A1Rocco)

A hack saw might have worked, but I was too pissed off. I wanted to attack it with something power driven

I wasn't worried about the shocks at all. They appear to be the original right-off-the-assembly-line-1984-shocks that came on the car when new. I got some nice bilsteins for replacements

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

awwwh yeeeeah...

Didn't have to cut the rubber bushing in half this time...

Top nut was stubborn too, so I had to attack with the zall

Found out that the nut under the washer was locked with the nut on top, oh well too late

BTW, I tried the c-clamp trick (actually I used one of my spring compressors; more beefy) didn't budge. Also tried the hack saw, but I had no space between the bushing and the control arm.
Now for the bilsteins

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.