VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I want to see Schnell recreate this with the Lemon if it still hasn't been towed away. :popcorn:

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,079 Posts
Jesus Christ, that's crazy! What are the chances that if you turn the wheel while the car is doing a stoppie that it would actually roll over?

·
Registered
35,002 Posts
Handling for micro SUVs has been a problem for decades. You're basically fighting against the basic principles of weight and balance limits with a high CG vehicle.

·
Registered
35,002 Posts
More brake bias to the rear brakes? Just a prop valve fix?
Brake bias will be effective at light brake forces, but the harder you brake, the more weight shifts to the front. Because of ABS, that should keep the rears from locking up and once brake forces are high enough you'll have the same situation. This is a physics problem endemic to having a short wheelbase and high CG with highly effective brake/tires.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I don't speak or understand what sounds like Spanish in the video. It looks like this is occurring during hard braking and over an undulation in the pavement. The short wheelbase and higher cG are going to cause this to happen in any car. What is surprising is that the ABS didn't pulse the front brakes enough to to keep the rears on the ground. That'd be the biggest failure here IMO.

Edit: AZGolf beat me to it.

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts
I suppose this is only a problem if you can actually get your Renegade to start.

·
Banned
26,117 Posts
Really though, this is caused partially by a short wheel base on a taller, higher vehicle? You'd think other cars like Tiguans and Wranglers would be subject to it too then, why not?

1 - 20 of 129 Posts