VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed something about the Ferrari's rim while watching the qualifying session. While the car was being slowly exiting the garage, I noticed that the outer rim on the rear wheel was carbon fiber
But the front wheel looked conventional. I tried looking for a decent pic but this was the best I could do:

Check out the difference between the front and the rear wheels. And nope, it's not brake dust. When the car was slowly exiting the garage, I could clearly see the carbon pattern on the rear rim. The spokes looked normal though. I wonder if the rim is entirely carbon or it's just a cover.

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Ferrari's wheel (venom600)

Quote, originally posted by venom600 »
I wouldn't be surprised, but are you sure that you weren't seeing a wheel with brake dust caked on?

Definitely not brake dust. If it is, then the front should be darker than the rear. Check out the red BBS logo on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: Ferrari's wheel (130_R)

This will help

> Sunday 23.04.06
Ferrari 248 F1 - wheel rim lip

Since its introduction in Bahrain, the protruding outer lip (in red) on Ferrari's wheel rims has been the subject of much discussion, with rivals questioning whether it constitutes an illegal moveable aerodynamic device - the movement being the wheel's rotation. Ferrari say the lip is a functional part of the air intake system for brake cooling and that its profile remains the same, regardless of whether the wheel is moving - hence it is not effectively 'moveable'. Ferrari's brake cooling system has two main parts - an inner drum (in yellow) where cool air (blue arrows) enters, and an outer part where heat from the brakes (red arrows) is expelled.

See the picture in http://www.f1.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.