VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the weather actually got nice here (for 1 day!)... and I realized my AC doesn't work
The button lights up.. but I don't hear the pump or see the RPM's move up a little.. (which I see in my Dad's S4 and TT when you turn on the AC). Could it be something simple, like a fuse? If not any ballpark figures on the price of fixing AC?
Thanks, help appreciated!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: Few Air Conditioning Questions (Don't Have One)

It could be a few things. The A/C freon could be low. If the system is too low, the compressor will not kick on. It could be a fuse like you mentioned. Check the fuse pannel. It also may be your coolant temperature sensor. If this that part is bad, it tends to mess with the A/C. Mine kept telling the computer my car was over heating, so it would randomly shut off the A/C...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Few Air Conditioning Questions (Glenn J)

I just realized I have the same problem as DHO. But my A/C kicks in, then shuts off. I had the same problem three years ago and the dealer replaced my thermo switch. I have no idea where this thermo switch is, so I'm guessing Glenn's advise about the coolant temperature switch is what I'm experiencing again.
Any body have any other suggestions what this Thermo Switch is the stealership is talking about.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Re: Few Air Conditioning Questions (GTI_PAT)

I have had to replace the A/C switch and fan switch sensor before. Pretty cheap besides the labor, as they have to check each wire form the harness.

·
Registered
23,991 Posts
Re: Few Air Conditioning Questions (adamo)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have had to replace the A/C switch and fan switch sensor before. Pretty cheap besides the labor, as they have to check each wire form the harness.[HR][/HR]​
this was and is my exact thought....if you can hear the compressor running and the light is coming on...but the air is blowing warm...this most likely is the culprit. What happens is it may blow cold for a minute or so...but as soon as the engine reaches it's normal temperature, which is relatively quick...the bad switch senses overheating and shuts down as a precaution....cheap fix

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Re: Few Air Conditioning Questions (Don't Have One)

What about when the AC light comes on but warm/hot air blows through...could this be the fuse, temperature switch, etc. just through out some ideas, I know there can't be a definative diagnosis, just want to know what areas need/should be checked.
thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
The joy of the beginning of spring, finding out the air isnt working...
Background: 94 Jetta GLX
I too have been running into issues with my air conditioning, and havent been able to make any headway yet, so I figured I would throw it into this thread, as search did not yield anything.
My A/C light does not light up, this happened in the winter, and I just figured the bulb burnt out... Well as it has begun to warm up, and I realized that it was blowing hot air, I started doing some troubleshooting. I checked the Bentley and tried the switch, I can hear the fan kick on, RPM goes up, but just hot air. I checked the compresser and I can see the clutch engage, blower does change speeds with the dial as expected, but still hot air. I could not find a sight glass, so could not verify R134a level, but when I poked at the service hole, I got what seemed to be good pressure.
After all this, I figured I would check the fuses (you never know), they looked okay, but I saw a mention of the #1 relay is part of the Air Condtion system as well, and did not see that relay. Does anyone know what the relay is?
Anyone have any ideas on what to check? I figure I will do as much troubleshooting as I can before I turn it over to a shop

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Re: Few Air Conditioning Questions (vitastx)

Ok So My Switch lights up the compressor engages but (I know for a fact ) the freon is gone I had a quote from the stealership for $800 Canadian ( thats about $550 American) Now i've hears about this cheap alternative to freon But I can't find it anywhere does anyone know about this stuff? How hard is it to recharge an A/C unit??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts