VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been taking with VentoGareth about his sweet ITB setup he just finished installing with the help of Grant Motorsport over in the UK. This is crosspost so I hope ya'll don't black hole it, orginal post here
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2498670

This is still a work in progress as there is much tidying up to do with the wiring and generally making the bay look pretty. I thought you may find this of interest so I will post up regular updates as the car should be mapped later this week on DTA P8 Pro.
The spec is an Audi TT 3.2 (BHE engine code) with Schrick 264/268 cams, flowed head, Jenvey 45mm throttle housings on a custom mage Grant Motorsport manifold. Custom made exhaust with 6 branch tubular manifold. It’s running off a modified O2A box with 4.24 final drive, TDi 5th gear and Quaife ATB diff, Helix Autosport clutch, VW Motorsport front engine mount. VW Motorsport gearshift tower & cables. Serious modifications to the front panel to lower the radiator and get the heat shield into position. Bonnet pins will be required before anyone asks where the catch has gone! There is also an addition of an oil cooler in the lower bumper vent and one additional fan still to be fitted to the front side of the radiator.
Those of you familiar with the 3.2 should spot the individual coil packs have been replaced with a modified VR6 coil pack. I have something lined up to fit in the coil pack recess to tidy the rocker cover. You may remember the old 2.8 24v I was running had a polished cover but I can’t be bothered cleaning the damn thing every time I take it out in the rain hence the red powder coat. I live in England not sunny LA!
Any way finally had the engine running yesterday and it started and held on the run in map with out any problems. Hopefully the dyno mapping will go well although I think the CAT in the exhaust may be restrictive as to will the 3 silencer cans. The trouble with a free flow exhaust on this engine is serious noise levels so a compromise must be had.
P.S. I have a 28 second MPEG file of the engine running on idle should anyone wish to upload it and throw on a link?
Big thanks to Grant Motorsport so far and I can't wait to drive it.

· Registered
3,984 Posts
that is the set up I have on a race car!
I will let you know this, it isn't cheap and you Will have to run Stand a lone management.
Product is awesome! Grant motorsports did mine, his wiring loom for the management is perfect.
that is a MK3 chassis in the photo, BTW!
Anthony

· Registered
4,569 Posts
anyone care to give a brief run-down on the benefits of an indepedent throttle body system? i assume it's an alternative to any sort of force induction - or could you do both at once?
yes, i can google this up myself, but why not give someone the chance to flex their knowledge muscles

· Registered
4,569 Posts
Re: (rabbitgtibbar)

Quote, originally posted by rabbitgtibbar »
It the fuel injection version of multiple carburetters. More air (and fuel) can be delivered to the engine, thus more power.

so there's nothing against running an itb system with forced induction, save money?

· Registered
17,610 Posts
Re: (jmikola)

And maybe complexity of the system making it wholly unreliable.
And the fact that it would be fairly pointless. Getting enough fuel isn't really a problem. You could dump so much in that the engine would hydro-lock. It's getting enough air in that poses a problem. One way is to make a giant hole for the engine to suck through, ie ITB's. The other is simply to cram more air into the engine than it really needs, ie FI. With enough pressure you can squeeze enough air in through a pinhole.

Modified by rabbitgtibbar at 3:34 PM 3-14-2006

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (jmikola)

Quote, originally posted by jmikola »

so there's nothing against running an itb system with forced induction, save money?

the benifits of ITB with FI are a lot less than a NA with ITBs, as jeremy said the whole point of running ITB is cram as much air into the engine as possible, the E46 M3 runs ITB on their 3.2L and make 80 more horses than our engine(yes I know an inline 6 breathes better but its still a good comparo)

· Registered
4,569 Posts
Re: (Dirt32)

Quote, originally posted by Dirt32 »
the benifits of ITB with FI are a lot less than a NA with ITBs, as jeremy said the whole point of running ITB is cram as much air into the engine as possible, the E46 M3 runs ITB on their 3.2L and make 80 more horses than our engine(yes I know an inline 6 breathes better but its still a good comparo)

noted; so how much gain in hp/tq are we looking at with this setup? at least enough to surpass the 100bhp/liter mark? and at what price roughly (~$8k USD perhaps?)
i only ask because in all those discussions about striving for 250+ whp na, itb's were never brought up as a possibility. i believe the suggestions stopped with cams.

· Registered
2,949 Posts
Re: (3dr A3 3.2)

Quote, originally posted by 3dr A3 3.2 »
Wow, looks amazing! But isn't it the runner length that needs to be tuned for resonance go from valve to throttle plate?

Nevermind, I looked it up: the length which needs to be tuned is "valve seat to intake horn". So the unequal length horns in your setup seem to be truly optimized.
Has the cam's variable phasing been altered?
TIA,
Ben.

· Registered
MK4 R32 DBP
1,807 Posts
Re: *** FI how bout ITBs (Dirt32)

that is impressive!
very, very nice setup bro
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: *** FI how bout ITBs (gabedibble)

I wish this was my setup but its not
, Mr.Gareth Spiller in cunjuction with Grant Motorsport over in the UK are responsible for this beast
He has a video but needs a host, anyone want to help him out?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.