VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking what people are running in a vr6 with FI. I have been running 10w-30 but thinking about jumping back to 20w-50, because it seems to hold up better when the motor really heats up. Just want to know what oil is the best for the vortech supercharger. Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
i use Mobil1 full syn 5w30 in my 2000 Jetta VR6. i highly recommend against using 20w50 unless you experience extreme cold winters(>10F). either way, use full syn. in addition to being better for the environment(man made not fossil fuel made), you can safely stretch your scheduled oil changes to twice the norm(mine i change every 7500mi), so you end up paying the same on the long run as you change half as much.

Modified by gr8gatzby at 12:42 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Re: (gr8gatzby)

Quote, originally posted by gr8gatzby »
i use Mobil1 full syn 5w30 in my 2000 Jetta VR6. i highly recommend against using 20w50 unless you experience extreme cold winters(>10F). either way, use full syn. in addition to being better for the environment(man made not fossil fuel made), you can safely stretch your scheduled oil changes to twice the norm(mine i change every 7500mi), so you end up paying the same on the long run as you change half as much.

Modified by gr8gatzby at 12:42 AM 5-18-2004

this makes no sense. you want lower viscosity oil for colder weather!!!

if you had seriously cold winters you would want something like 5W-30. 20W-50 would be better suited to very hot running motors and extremely hot summers!!!
you have it totally backward, plus you said extreme winters and specified ">10F" that means greater than 10 degrees.....that can be anythign above that temperature, say 100F because that is greater than 10F....what i think you wanted to say was <10F so LESS than 10 degrees F.
Im sorry dude but you dont know what you are talking about.

10W-30 is good for most places.
20W-50 or synthetic 15W-50 is good for hot weather or hot running motors.
5W-30 is good for colder climates(they also have 0W-30).
or you can just get redline synthetic 10W-40 and have the best of both worlds.
research oil viscosities online so you have a better understanding....

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Re: (vr6ofpain)

Quote, originally posted by vr6ofpain »

this makes no sense. you want lower viscosity oil for colder weather!!!

if you had seriously cold winters you would want something like 5W-30. 20W-50 would be better suited to very hot running motors and extremely hot summers!!!
you have it totally backward, plus you said extreme winters and specified ">10F" that means greater than 10 degrees.....that can be anythign above that temperature, say 100F because that is greater than 10F....what i think you wanted to say was <10F so LESS than 10 degrees F.
Im sorry dude but you dont know what you are talking about.

10W-30 is good for most places.
20W-50 or synthetic 15W-50 is good for hot weather or hot running motors.
5W-30 is good for colder climates(they also have 0W-30).
or you can just get redline synthetic 10W-40 and have the best of both worlds.
research oil viscosities online so you have a better understanding....

So the last number on the oil type stands for the viscosity.............Ex: 5W-30 being less Viscous and better meant for colder weather, AND 10W-40 being better for hott motors&weather.........Can anyone explain what each number "*W-**" stands for?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: (DubStyleVr6)

Quote, originally posted by DubStyleVr6 »
anyone explain what each number "*W-**" stands for?

W stands for weight http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Re: (a3vr6vdubber)

Quote, originally posted by a3vr6vdubber »

W stands for weight http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Im almost positive it stands for winter
on topic I would use a 5w-30 or 40 synthetic for your climate.
5w40 is factory fill on the vr6, sythetic will give you higher thermal protection, the vortech charger has no specific oil requirements so 5w40 should be fine

Modified by IntakeManifold at 5:45 AM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
16,128 Posts

The first number is the effective viscosity at low temperature (0°C) and the second number is the effective viscosity at high temperature (100°C). The 'w' indicates that it is suitable for winter use.
For example, a 5w-40 oil will behave like a 5-weight oil at 0° and a 40-weight oil at 100°C and is suitable for winter use.
Gary

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Re: (IntakeManifold)

Quote, originally posted by IntakeManifold »

5w40 is factory fill on the vr6

what VR6? and what location?
because both the 95 GLX I had and the 96 GLX I have now, were always given 20W-50 from the factory back when they were under warranty, I still have all the paperwork. These were both SF/Bay Area, California cars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: (vr6ofpain)

Quote, originally posted by vr6ofpain »

what VR6? and what location?
because both the 95 GLX I had and the 96 GLX I have now, were always given 20W-50 from the factory back when they were under warranty, I still have all the paperwork. These were both SF/Bay Area, California cars.

My 98 GLX is also an SF car and the dealer always filled it with Castrol 10w-30 when it was under warranty. When I started doing my own oil changes I switched to 10w-40 synthetic blend because the engine tends to run on the hot side.
I've never seen 5-w40 but I'd like to get some. I'd prefer to have the 5 on startup rather than the 10.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Re: (dunno)

Ive been running 5w40 since I got both of my VRs, and they love it. Unfortunately, shucks was the only place I had found that carries it. And now they dont carry it anymore.
So im on the lookout for a reliable source for Vavoline Synpower 5w40

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: (XenoLlama)

Xeno,
NAPA carries Valvoline SynPower 5w-40. Sometimes they will have to order it, but some NAPA stores carry it in stock. I just bought some from NAPA last week.

·
Registered
14,345 Posts
Re: FI VR6 oil to use? (TnT2theMax)

Quote, originally posted by TnT2theMax »
Just checking what people are running in a vr6 with FI. I have been running 10w-30 but thinking about jumping back to 20w-50, because it seems to hold up better when the motor really heats up. Just want to know what oil is the best for the vortech supercharger. Thanks

40-weight would be your best bet. 5W-40 or 10W-40 is what I would run in a VR6, irregardless if it was stock, supercharged, or turbocharged. 30-weight is too thin, especially if your motor sees higher temps and if the oil has to be fed through a glowing hot turbo.
The "W" stands for winter. Multigrade oils have two viscosities - cold viscosity, and operating temperature viscosity. Cold viscosity is the thickness of the oil when it is "cold" -- ie: when you start your car first thing in the morning after it has been parked overnight. Once the oil gets up to temp, the second number is what its viscosity is.
I recommend full synthetic oil for your VR6.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Re: (JettaVR6power)

Ill doublecheck again, but the last time I talked to any of our local NAPA stores, they claimed that 5w40 synthetic doesnt exist...

So ill try again, and at the least, ive got a quart in the trunk that i can wave at them.

·
Registered
14,345 Posts
Re: (XenoLlama)

Quote, originally posted by XenoLlama »
Ill doublecheck again, but the last time I talked to any of our local NAPA stores, they claimed that 5w40 synthetic doesnt exist...

Don't bother, it exists. It has existed for several years now.

Mobil-1, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Amsoil, Motul, and Castrol are amongst the many who make synthetic 5W-40s. You can get them from various sources on the web too.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Re: (gr8gatzby)

Quote, originally posted by gr8gatzby »
i use Mobil1 full syn 5w30 in my 2000 Jetta VR6.

I put in Mobil1 and I *think* it was 5w30... it says something right on the bottle about being for smaller engines with turbos, etc. That, and it comes in a box of 6 which is perfect for the VR6

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

Quote, originally posted by DubStyleVr6 »
So the last number on the oil type stands for the viscosity.............Ex: 5W-30 being less Viscous and better meant for colder weather, AND 10W-40 being better for hott motors&weather.........Can anyone explain what each number "*W-**" stands for?

W = winter. 0W, 5W, 10W, 15W, and 20W refer to viscosity ranges when the oil is cold. The second number (like the -30 in 10W-30) refers to the viscosity range when the oil is at 100 degrees C.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts