VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Funny they bash the Wrangler for being a rough diamond, brash and unrefined.

But every Fifth Gear review of the original Land Rover Defender they somehow manage to excuse the medieval oxcart driving experience, because, you know, it's an old school off-road truck, like the Wrangler.

Can't blame them, they're just giving the British public what it wants, America bashing.:laugh:

·
Registered
82,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dubveiser said:
Can't blame them, they're just giving the British public what it wants, America bashing.:laugh:
They put the least off road experienced driver behind the wheel to complain about it feeling disconnected WHILE off roading.
It's painfully intentional.

·
Registered
932 Posts
came out the gates just hating on it, yes its a brick going down the road but it has its uses.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I love the look of Wranglers and have always wanted one lifted on big tires to drive around suburbia but they are just too small inside. I sat in every new 2020 model on display at the SF Auto Show recently and there is not a single model that has decent legroom, I'd last maybe 30 minutes in the driver's seat before I would have to pull over to stretch. I have seen kits/aftermarket seat rails but that means it's basically a 2/3 passenger vehicle.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
came out the gates just hating on it, yes its a brick going down the road but it has its uses.
True, especially during WW2 it had its uses, after that, well it's still here :rolleyes:

·
Registered
SC AW11, Mazda speed NB, 89 Skyline GTS-T 5M, 19 GLI 6M.
9,477 Posts
Are these people intending to sound so insufferable and snobbish, or it just a British thing?

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
I sat in every new 2020 model on display at the SF Auto Show recently and there is not a single model that has decent legroom, I'd last maybe 30 minutes in the driver's seat before I would have to pull over to stretch.
are you extremely tall?

·
Registered
82,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be fair.. I think Chrysler has terrible diesels for European market use.
The European market 300C had a similar engine (and was also trashed by the,, Jason even pulled trim pieces off.. but it took effort and was stupid and I still haven't forgiven him).. was slow, unrefined, and not even very efficient.
A poor engine (for the piece) can make anything feel less than good.

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,030 Posts
To be fair.. I think Chrysler has terrible diesels for European market use.
The European market 300C had a similar engine (and was also trashed by the,, Jason even pulled trim pieces off.. but it took effort and was stupid and I still haven't forgiven him).. was slow, unrefined, and not even very efficient.
A poor engine (for the piece) can make anything feel less than good.
Also, I looked it up, and these are the Wrangler starting prices over there:

Sahara 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 2-Door: £44,495
Sahara 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 4-Door: £45,995
Overland 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 2-Door: £46,495
Overland 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 4-Door: £47,995
Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 2-Door: £46,495
Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 4-Door: £47,995

£44,495 is $49,205.91. Our base Wrangler starts at $28,045 and comes with a Pentastar.

That said, the guy with the glasses was acting like a c***.

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,030 Posts
Are these people intending to sound so insufferable and snobbish, or it just a British thing?
I'm guessing they're going for the Clarkson vibe of acting like hyperbolic stubborn a-holes. Clarkson is also funny, though. That's the key ingredient to not coming across... well, like the Fifth Gear team do in this video.

·
Registered
82,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
It would be a lot different if England didn’t have a rich history of off roaders. If they didn’t have the Defender, and only the Range Rover, ok, but they are well acquainted with the Defender, which is not any better then the JL, and potentially way worse.

That said the 200hp engine sounds like it sucks. And so do the back seat and trunk of the 2dr.

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
It would be a lot different if England didn’t have a rich history of off roaders. If they didn’t have the Defender, and only the Range Rover, ok, but they are well acquainted with the Defender, which is not any better then the JL, and potentially way worse.

That said the 200hp engine sounds like it sucks. And so do the back seat and trunk of the 2dr.

I think you are saying they aren't an objective source of information.

They are not an objective source of information.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Wrangler is the worst automobile, but I loved owning one. Not every decision is rational. If they were, most fun cars wouldn't exist.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts