VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just out of curiosity...im lookin to get a badgeless grille for the cabrio and was wondering how i'd go about filling the notches, they look ugly when they look like this...

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Re: filling notches. (graffkng)

The notch filler pieces that come with the grilles are made out of plastic, you can't weld plastic to metal. I'd do it right and have a pro shop weld a piece of metal and do it properly, or don't do it at all. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Old car whorage

P.S
The badgeless grille pictured is for sale, IM me if interested

·
Registered
43,724 Posts
Re: filling notches. (tigster)

Quote, originally posted by tigster »
The notch filler pieces that come with the grilles are made out of plastic, you can't weld plastic to metal. I'd do it right and have a pro shop weld a piece of metal and do it properly, or don't do it at all. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

My bonrath came with a metal one for the hood and some type of plastic for the bumper. We didnt use them though, cut a piece of metal and welded it for the hood, and cut up an oem bumper and used that to fill in the bumper notch so the plastics were the same and there would be no issues.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Re: filling notches. (Travy)

Quote, originally posted by Travy »

My bonrath came with a metal one for the hood and some type of plastic for the bumper. We didnt use them though, cut a piece of metal and welded it for the hood, and cut up an oem bumper and used that to fill in the bumper notch so the plastics were the same and there would be no issues.

That is exactly how mine was done, I used a piece of metal, cut out off a Lexus hood, and the bumper notch was also filled using a piece off an old bumper.
to OP.
Make sure the bumper piece is plastic welded and not just filled with a body filler, otherwise it will crack over a very short period of time.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Re: filling notches. (Travy)

Quote, originally posted by Travy »

BINGO! That's exactly what my body shop did.
The metal piece that comes with the Bonrath grill is thin and isn't exactly the best option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts