VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal. We all know by now that all the major places that make/sell Digifant II chips say it can't be done on the Fox. Not just because its missing the KS and the FT switch, but also because if you open the ECU up you will find its also missing a whole PC board that regular Golf/Jetta Digi II has. I just got off the phone with Colin at Techtonics and he confirms this. But a swap is still possible. So, I guess I'm gonna be the first to step up to the plate to try it.
In the next weekend or so I'm gonna go to the local boneyard and get a Digi II harness out of an 88-92 Jetta (they tell me its cleaner looking than the Golf's) grab the TB switches while I'm there and the ECU and KS too. Colin suggested to look for a "CH" ECU as it seems to be the one that works best with the TT chip to date. He also suggested to get a Porsche 944s fuel pressure regulator (non-turbo) and stay with the stock injectors. Also to leave the AMS alone and not adjust spring tension.
Sooo........I'm going to try it out and let everyone know how it all works out, and how difficult it all was. I figure these guys have a pretty good idea how to do it........a Rabbit that is in the 12's without turbos or NOS, somebody must know something over there.....

BTW, don't look for stuff from the A1 Cabriolet with Digifant II, same setup as a Fox. Yes it's the "dumbed down" version of Digi II. Just thought everyone would like to know in case they run across one in a boneyard....

Be the first on your block with a chippable Fox

[Modified by foxmancometh, 6:47 PM 1-29-2003]

[Modified by foxmancometh, 7:02 PM 1-29-2003]

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Re: Final scoop on tuning Fox Digifant II (foxmancometh)

I was under the impression that A1 Cabriolets were high compression, and got knock sensors. I could be wrong. Either way, not too many seem to make it to junk yards.
The wiring harness from a G/J might now work as a direct swap - some under-hood wires might be of different lengths, due to the transverse engine setup.
Vanagons have it worse than Foxes - 5000 RPM fuel cutoff and no knock sensor.
I'm surprised Colin took the time to talk to you. In my phone experience with TT, they brushed me off when I started asking questions. Especially when I asked about warranty on the downpipe (when mine cracked around the "in" flanges). How much pressure does the 944 FPR put out?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Final scoop on tuning Fox Digifant II (VW Fox)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm surprised Colin took the time to talk to you. In my phone experience with TT, they brushed me off when I started asking questions. How much pressure does the 944 FPR put out?[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, they were kind of reluctant at first, but at least they weren't snobby about it. From what I understand the 944 regulator is a 4.0 bar regulator, but I could be wrong.....

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: Final scoop on tuning Fox Digifant II (VW Fox)

I'll ask my friend Scott if we removed a KS from his Cabby when we dismantled it, but I know in certainty that it was high compression. I saw the pistons myself.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Final scoop on tuning Fox Digifant II (TeraFox)

Well........after much searching this weekend for a good harnes, etc. I've decided to bail on the Digi II chip swap. Too much work for 5HP, something I could gain elsewhere for less time and money.
Every harness I found this weekend was either burned, chopped up, or hacked by some lame ass mechanic at some point in its life.

So instead of modifying my Fox, I think I'm gonna try something different. Hmmmm..........

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Re: Final scoop on tuning Fox Digifant II (foxmancometh)

I'm still going to go ahead and investigate this. It is only a handful of wires that need to be added to the ECU end, so I don't see the point of a whole wiring harness swap. Remember that it's 5HP + chip potential + better fuel map. Well worth the hassle, if you'll run a modified high-compression engine.
Time to post in the 8v forum regarding Digifant chips...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts