VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm nearing the end of the car-buying process, and I wanted to run everything by you guys so that I make sure I don't miss anything. The dealer comes very highly recommended from a couple different sources, but I wanted to be sure--I got burned once and swore to myself that I wouldn't let it happen again.
So, here are the final numbers and specs on the car I'm about to buy:
2005 VW GTi 1.8T with the luxury package, leather package, and 17" wheels.
MSRP including destination is $22,525
Invoice including destination (according to Edmunds) is $20,556
The dealer offered what he said was $100 over invoice, added some costs like port charge, etc. and the total, including tax, title transfer, and everything else, came out to $22,644.46.
Now, comparing this number to the original MSRP, it seems like a good price, but I can't help feeling that it's still a little high. Maybe I'm just paranoid, I don't know.
I'm doing the financing through a separate bank, and got approved @ 4.35% so I'm happy with that. Any advice, criticism, or help you guys can offer would be great. I'm really excited, as I've wanted a GTi for...oh, maybe 3 years now, but I refuse to fall in love with the car and get shafted on the deal.
Thanks again!

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, everything looks good so far, so I think I'm going to pull the trigger by week's end. I'll probably drop by a couple other dealers just for fun, but I stongly doubt any of them are going to come close to the price I've settled on.
By the way, two big thumbs up for Mike at Gunthther VW--He's been extremely helpful and patient while trying to find the options and setup I want. Oh, and thanks to VeedubDriver for putting me in touch with Mike.
Wish me luck!

· Banned
1,262 Posts
Re: Finally about to get a VW! (RImk216v)

Quote, originally posted by RImk216v »
wait another year and get a 2.0T

I'd have to disagree. While the temptation of 2.0t is definately alluring, the sheer fact that you are buying the first year of a new model platform is scary. I personally make it a point to never buy a first year or new generation car. IMO the latest possible MK IV model will be leaps and bounds ahead of a first year MK V. This doesn't apply to style and appearance, but VW has had nearly 6 years to get the MK IV "right." They've engineered the poop out of this platform, and I for one am sad to see it go. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the '06 GTI's are like. But by then I hope to have my MK II Jetta coupe VR6 TT project completed.

I realize this is mostly opinion, but I can speak from experience. My '93 Grand Cherokee has had four transmission. It still runs although its had its share of repairs. I guess that's why it's my station car right now.
My '00 BMW 328i was far from perfect, and did not come close to the pleasure the '97 328i gave. Now that was a car worth keeping at the end of the lease, but my mother had a nice little accident in which the frame was minorly damaged. It was fixed but I wasn't about to buy a car that had been on a frame straightener.
The '03 330i isn't much better than the '00 but I do notice the improvments. Lighter doors, quieter cabin, tighter suspension, but there is a slight drone in the exhaust at speed and when getting off the brake and onto the gas.
Then there's the '02 GTI 1.8t. I wish I could say it's perfect but we all know they are not. But I think it's perfect for the price

· Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Finally about to get a VW! (BLK20vt)

I agree completely.
Unless there was some car that I just had to have, I don't think I'd ever be first to jump on a new generation of a model, and the MkV is certainly not that car for me. In addition, the car I have now is just burning too much cash that I'll never see again (89 Mustang LX 5.0) to justify keeping it. There are still certainly times I love my car, and it'd be great to keep it as a project, it's just not in the cards.
A good buddy of mine is one of the first on the list (so he says) at a local dealer for the MkV, so I'll get to see how well it does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.