VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
19,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a bad pic, but on Saturday I bought my dream car, a 1987.5 CGT. It's black on dirty grey velour, with 112,000 miles. I bought her for $2,000 and it came with 2 HUGE boxes of parts. I bought the car knowing it had a few problems, which I'd like to solicit your help on.
1. Passenger power window not working. You can hear the motor turn a bit, but the glass won't move. Any thoughts?
2. Far right pannel on digital dash gets dimmer then brighter.
3. Temp guage flakey. Was fine for the whole 250 mile trip home, then later it would be fine at idle then jump all the way to the hot side by the time you hit 15 MPH. Restart the car and it was fine again. Wierd! The previous owner said he had the dash recetly fixed. Not sure to what extent, I think it may have just been bulbs.
4. Small radiator just in front of the engine leaks just a little. I have a spare pulled from a wreck, but want to know what that little radiator does.
5. Unusual droning noise from front end. Happens when going straight, gets louder when turning right, goes away when turning left. Any thoughts?
6. Pinging. Engine pings a bit under WOT, but only for a second or two then it goes a way and it only happens below 2,500 RPM. Owner had the cheapest gas in the car he could find, I ran it down to 1/2 tank and filled up with 93. Still pings under WOT. Does it just need to be run down to empty and filled with 93? I thought these had knock sensors. Any thoughts?
7. Hand crank for sun roof is cracked and won't lower all the way. Where can I get a new crank other than the dealer? Or can I even get one from the dealer due to age?
8. Lumpy idle. Doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes idles perfect at other times it will bouce to the point where the oil pressure light starts to blik on and off.
9. Ashtray cover is missing, local wrecking yards don't have many Audis. Where to get one?
10. What about "must have" mods? Are there any I would be foolish to be without on this car?
Well, that's quite a list, but i don't think (hope) that any of the problems will be that expensive or hard to fix. Do you agree?
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Finally bought my dream car: 1987.5 CGT: Pics and questions inside (duandcc)

quote:[HR][/HR]1. Passenger power window not working. You can hear the motor turn a bit, but the glass won't move. Any thoughts?[HR][/HR]​
a) motor is really dead and just spinning in it's grave, or b) cable mechanism frayed and useless. Remove door panel (3 mins) and inspect. New motors can be had pretty cheaply from the yard, or from listers at audifans.com
quote:[HR][/HR]2. Far right pannel on digital dash gets dimmer then brighter.[HR][/HR]​
As per the 'got dash work done', you probably have a flaky connection or ground.
quote:[HR][/HR]3. Temp guage flakey. Was fine for the whole 250 mile trip home, then later it would be fine at idle then jump all the way to the hot side by the time you hit 15 MPH. Restart the car and it was fine again. Wierd! The previous owner said he had the dash recetly fixed. Not sure to what extent, I think it may have just been bulbs.[HR][/HR]​
See #2. Or, maybe the sending unit needs to be checked out.
quote:[HR][/HR]4. Small radiator just in front of the engine leaks just a little. I have a spare pulled from a wreck, but want to know what that little radiator does.[HR][/HR]​
It is probably the secondary radiator unit. I know my 90q20v has one. Some people run without it, but I don't know if I'd recommend it, especially if you have another ready to put in. Check the necks on the tank to see if they are plastic. Might want to try and find a metal-necked one if they are.
quote:[HR][/HR]5. Unusual droning noise from front end. Happens when going straight, gets louder when turning right, goes away when turning left. Any thoughts?[HR][/HR]​
Wheel bearing.
quote:[HR][/HR]6. Pinging. Engine pings a bit under WOT, but only for a second or two then it goes a way and it only happens below 2,500 RPM. Owner had the cheapest gas in the car he could find, I ran it down to 1/2 tank and filled up with 93. Still pings under WOT. Does it just need to be run down to empty and filled with 93? I thought these had knock sensors. Any thoughts?[HR][/HR]​
I think it does have a single knock sensor, but don't quote me on that. Get an A/F guage in there to see if the mixutre is set properly. Otherwise, check timing.
quote:[HR][/HR]7. Hand crank for sun roof is cracked and won't lower all the way. Where can I get a new crank other than the dealer? Or can I even get one from the dealer due to age?[HR][/HR]​
Can't hurt to call and ask. Email me at mchang AT iname.com for more info on getting a parts CD. Check the yard.
quote:[HR][/HR]8. Lumpy idle. Doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes idles perfect at other times it will bouce to the point where the oil pressure light starts to blik on and off.[HR][/HR]​
Hrm. Looks like someone will get up to their elbows in CIS tuning! Otherwise, probably related to #6, either timing or mixture is off.
quote:[HR][/HR]9. Ashtray cover is missing, local wrecking yards don't have many Audis. Where to get one?[HR][/HR]​
You'll never find one that isn't cracked at the tabs. Make one out of wood, or remove the tray altogether and stick an equalizer head in there

quote:[HR][/HR]10. What about "must have" mods? Are there any I would be foolish to be without on this car?[HR][/HR]​
There isn't much to be had with this car. You can get a cam and better exhaust, but you won't be really freeing up much. Timing advance I hear can get you some better performance down low. Dress it up with some decent wheels and good suspension (bilsten/eibach combos are nice), new rubber bits underneath and a good driver can keep pace with E30 M3s at the track (no kidding).
Other than that, lots of folks stick Audi MC-code turbo engines in there for real fun!
Enjoy -- oh, and sell me that Passat... seriously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts