VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little back story, a little over two years ago a friend let me know that he was selling his UK market 16v RHD Corrado that he had imported a couple months previous. Never really been a Corrado guy but it was a unique car and the money was right so I picked it up.

Two years later I ‘finished’ the project found a buyer a few weeks ago.

Years back I had the opportunity to pick up a Jetta Coupe from a long time friend Tobi (tobiwonkonobi/tobitightpants for all you long time vortex trolls). It was a built ABA swap and was honestly the perfect project.

An unfortunate circumstance presented itself and I had to let it go, a decision I’ll regret forever and still feel bad when I see Tobias. But life goes on. I’ve always wanted a Coupe and with the sale of the Corrado I set out to find another. Enter Kyle. A local who built the car eight or nine years ago and had been sitting in his garage for the last five.
Some specs:
1990 Volkswagen Jetta
OBD2 12v VR6
ATP Manifold
Garett T04E
ARP Head Studs
Schimmel Short Runner
8.5:1 Compression
Bosch Green Giants
262 Autotech Cams
Walboro 255
02A - TDI 5th gear, ARP ring gear bolts Peloquin LSD
Also most of the suspension and brake stuff is done as well but a bunch of it will be changed or upgraded as we go along.
It was painted a Phaeton color called Waterworld Green Pearl seemingly a long time ago and isn’t in great shape but the car is solid and a great base for another project.

Since pickup I’ve grabbed a Eurowise cast thermostat housing kit, new Euro front fenders as the ones under the flares are cut up, and I had Jeff at UM write another Stage 2 chip for it as the one in it was throwing a code. More updates and pictures to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
First on the field as a former vrt coupe owner and current vrt SLC owner- you'll most certainly enjoy the coupe. Simplicity compared to the Corrado = fewer gremlins/headaches. Looking forward to where you go with this one.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First on the field as a former vrt coupe owner and current vrt SLC owner- you'll most certainly enjoy the coupe. Simplicity compared to the Corrado = fewer gremlins/headaches. Looking forward to where you go with this one.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Cheers man. Thank you. The Corrado really was hassle after hassle finding parts and wiring issues. Hoping for some smoother sailing this time around.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple interior pictures and the jungle gym setup in the trunk along with an Eibach Flat Bar that I’ll clean up and use on this Jetta.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled one of the RML’s off today and discovered the clearcoat is peeling all over so I stripped it down to bare aluminum and did a quick ‘brushed’ look finish. They cleaned up pretty well but won’t stick around for too much longer.

Also removed the mangled g60 flares and cut up fenders and installed the new euro ones. They fit decently but I’ll make them better when we tear it all down this fall. But for now the ugly front end gets uglier. Might wrap the thing just so it doesn’t look like a drag car in the meantime, we’ll see.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up selling the coupe to a local. I wanted to restore this one but the body ended up being more than I wanted to deal with after just recently finishing the Corrado. I also figured someone would be more into the engine setup than I was.

It’s how it goes sometimes.

On to the next.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts