VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well actually I bought Darren's set a few months ago while still at school. I had them shipped to my friends house and never even saw them in person until last week boy are they beautiful! The car is actually at the shop having them installed right now and I'm looking forward to the dyno which will follow. Hoping for close to 200whp. should be possible with my re-tuned ecu and testpipe.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Finally Got Cams!! (BEAU-SOF)

Yep its overthere right now, Ivo has it all opened up so if you like please fee free to stop by and check on things for me, hell snap a few pictures if you get the oppurtunity. Ivo said the car should be done by tomorrow around 3pm. I'm going to try and have the car dynoed on Thursday but we'll see how that goes. I'll also be putting my grounding kit together in the next few days to see if that helps at all as well. But yea sorry I've been so tight lipped about the cams, I wanted to suprise everyone, although to my slight dismay, I later found out that these are the cams that make less HP than the other set but they do however gain more torque if I'm correct and so they'll probally end up being the better cam for my taste. But hey, we'll just have to wait and see what the dyno shows. I wish I could have gotten a before dyno but between my work schedule and other issues it was just not possible.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Re: Finally Got Cams!! (omeezy)

Congrats ! You'll learn to love that 7200 RPM Rev Limiter, I know I did. Ya I had to tell 4 prospective people that they were sold ... without letting on who bought them since the rest we're all Vortex people trying to buy them. Put em in, get a UDP pulley set and say hello to 200 WHP.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

Quote, originally posted by omeezy »
although to my slight dismay, I later found out that these are the cams that make less HP than the other set but they do however gain more torque if I'm correct and so they'll probally end up being the better cam for my taste. But hey, we'll just have to wait and see what the dyno shows. I wish I could have gotten a before dyno but between my work schedule and other issues it was just not possible.

hey its ok... i talked alot with ron at denon and the 268/264 cams which give more horses also may have emmisions issues out in california.. so u made a wise purchase.. although the higher end cams still sounds very tempting to me(since my cams have not reached these shores i have been thinking of calling back to switch the the 268/264) combined with the fact that GIAC made that custom chip for potterman and more than likely still has the program available, its hard to say no to a solid 200whp... BUT the fact still remains that in a couple of years i would have to worry about smoggin the car and i am not too keen on having to deal with that....
anyways, good purchase.. as for your b4 dyno.. you can use mines as a bit of a reference. my before is 183 at the wheels.. mods are in the sig... hopefully eric recieved my email and will post my dyno ....

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BEAU-SOF »
combined with the fact that GIAC made that custom chip for potterman and more than likely still has the program available, its hard to say no to a solid 200whp...

ai recently contacted them via email and was told my current chip would run more than fine with the 268/264's, and that giac was booked for "custom chips" through summer.
i want potterman's chip dammit!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Re: Finally Got Cams!! (paik)

Quote, originally posted by paik »

ai recently contacted them via email and was told my current chip would run more than fine with the 268/264's, and that giac was booked for "custom chips" through summer.
i want potterman's chip dammit!

aaww cmon!!! booked through the summer?? how hard is it to mimic the same program onto another chip... i mean i can only assume that when they made that program they saved it just in case.... oh well..

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well got them all installed and the car is up and running. First thing i noticed was the torque increase, I regained all the torque I had lost formt he testpipe and some so I curious how its gonna feel when i put my stock cat back on. The car deffiantely pulls forcefully all the way to 7200. The car idles completely normal, but does create a deeper exhuast note while on the gas. I'm very curious to see what the dyno shows.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts

Quote, originally posted by omeezy »
Well got them all installed and the car is up and running. First thing i noticed was the torque increase, I regained all the torque I had lost formt he testpipe and some so I curious how its gonna feel when i put my stock cat back on. The car deffiantely pulls forcefully all the way to 7200. The car idles completely normal, but does create a deeper exhuast note while on the gas. I'm very curious to see what the dyno shows.

cant wait to see your dynos im thinking about gettin cams hopefully you get good numbers

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Finally Got Cams!! (hiatussk8rs)

after driving around I've noticed that my exhuast note is actually about 30% quieter. I didn't initially beleive this when i picked up the car and thought that maybe it was just my imagination but all my friends started saying it too I'm sure of it. I however cannot understand why this is the case. Why would cams that are pushing more air through the motor make the exhaust quieter?

·
Registered
7,778 Posts

My guess would be the larger overlap of intake and exhaust lobes. The closer together all those sounds are in harmony could lower the volume of the exhaust? Just a guess. Get some dynos up! cant wait to see http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Finally Got Cams!! (Neu Bug)

hmm, interesting theory, I'm more than likely gonna be able to get a dyno Monday morning.

·
Banned
5,813 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Neu Bug »
My guess would be the larger overlap of intake and exhaust lobes. The closer together all those sounds are in harmony could lower the volume of the exhaust? Just a guess. Get some dynos up! cant wait to see http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I would say that the cams allow freer flow through the head and results in a quieter exhaust note.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
Re: Finally Got Cams!! (Integrale)

it is interesting, because when i put my cam in my 8v 2.0 it got louder, but thats just a poor design anyways, hence the 24v swap.
Anyone have any insight to volume or sound diff after head work, porting polishing etc. may further prove your point.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts

the volume of air doesnt necesarily make exhaust louder or quieter, its velocity that makes things change volume and of course the exhaust setup on your car.
generally the faster the air is moving the quieter it is, it will make more of a rushing sound then a growl, thats why huge exhausts are loud, air is moving so slow that it has time to resonate in the pipes and make it noisy, if you have really tiny pipesair velocity is higher. at least that is my theory cause my car is quieter with the VF and its moving way more air then stock, its just moving it faster

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Re: Finally Got Cams!! (stuttgart23)

Quote, originally posted by stuttgart23 »
What brand cams are they and where can they be bought besides from Darren

they are schrick cams(264/260)... and they can be bought from denon performance... not the only place to buy them but the best place in my opinion http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Denon Performance Products Inc.
1160 Yew Ave.
Blaine, WA 98230
(888) 468-0688 or (604) 464-4401
Fax: (604) 944-1670

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Re: Finally Got Cams!! (stuttgart23)

Now I want to get cams...
only if my funds allow me to.
Can someone IM me with the price and labor involved?
THanks. and I can't wait to see the dyno!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts