VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all...I finally got a truck. 1989 Ford F150 XLT Lariet 4wd, 5.0l with auto trans. We needed one to take the trash and yard debris to the dump. Wife was tired of me messing up her Forrester since I would not put the stuff in the back o my GTI.

We found this gem on our local craigslist. It was listed for $2k but figured he would deal. We managed to talk him down to $1,300 and made the deal. When I test drove the truck it had a shimmy/bucking in the front end. Which I assumed was a tire balance issue or an alignment issue. Note: this is my first 4wd truck. I take the truck to my local mechanic and have them check out the shimmy/bucking. They tell me it is a 7 & 8 crossfire that probably has been going on for a long time. Plugs are bad and probably #8 cylinder has a whole in it. They say the pressure in it is way lower than the others. They tell me they found some other minor things also. I have them fix the minor stuff, power steering leak and fan that does not work. I have them also fix what they can on the cylinder. They suggested that I replace the engine for $3,500 with a re manufactured one. I told them no, I would drive it like it is until it wont go anymore.
Well, I drive the truck home and notice on the way that the shift lever has 2 "D" positions. One has a circle around it and the other does not. I had been using the first D, the one with the circle, so I figure what the hell. I try the other D and the bucking/shimmy practically goes away. Not gone all together. So I figure the transmission is probably what the problem is and not the engine. Anyway, I have been driving it for nearly 2 month now this way and it has been driving really good with the shimmy/bucking happening only when speeding up after slowing down considerably.
In accordance with Forum rules, here is a picture of my new toy...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (DSM TJ)

Yep, and makes me wonder about the engine diagnosis of having a bad cylinder...

·
Registered
878 Posts
Re: (EternalSunshine)

Quote, originally posted by EternalSunshine »
Yep, and makes me wonder about the engine diagnosis of having a bad cylinder...

It could be that the higher rpm of driving around not in over drive makes the miss less appearant. 55mph at 2000 rpm would feel smother than 55mph at 1300 rpm.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Re: (evilnissan)

Ford overdrive issues are very common. I dont know if its a solenoid issue or worse but almost every Ford truck my family has had the same issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts