VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after driving around in a passat since september, the cabrio is back in action.

Very happy to have it again, trying desperately to make it pass inspection :banghead:

question 1: noisy valves... ? or happy valves

question 2: where's this vaccum line belong? It goes into the firewall near the break booster, adjacent to where the wiring harness passes through the firewall. It's a large diameter for vaccum... about the same size as the main line from the booster to the intake mani.

that's all for now

· Registered
15,657 Posts
sounds like a typical VR. What oil are you running? Also, it sounds silly and obvious, but did you check the oil.

I found that my lifter noise was significantly reduced when i switched to 10-w30 synthetic

· Banned
1,481 Posts
sounds like a typical VR. What oil are you running? Also, it sounds silly and obvious, but did you check the oil.

I found that my lifter noise was significantly reduced when i switched to 10-w30 synthetic
Ya thats what I run, mobil 1 at that. This ^ probably has legitimacy.

Maybe new set of lifters/hd springs would that help?

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
hah I'll check the oil level tomorrow. im pretty sure I have castrol gtx high mileage 10-w30 in there. gotta look.
I'm considering getting lifters for sake of maintenance and springs for fun, but im not going to go in there unless I need to.

It's making scads of power right now anyway, engine seems to run excellent.

On another note, I got new tires in. Bridgestone Potenza RE760 -> [tirerack]

BUT upon balancing my second hand drag dr23 / rota slipstreams, one is bent. A wheel shop wanted 100-250 to round it up. So, now I'm trying to figure out what wheel I actually have, so I can stick with four of the same brand... pics to follow. Oh and does anybody know how to distinguish between the two?
My wheels are 16x7 et40...

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got some new rubber

205/45r16 bridgestone potenza

brought them in for mount and balance, and the last wheel turned out to be bent! crap!
here's the culprit:

now my problem is, i dont know for certain who makes the things, because there's no clear branding on it.

What I can say is that they are not Rota Slipstreams: rota is a brand owned by Philippine Aluminum Wheels. My wheels are clearly made in Taiwan. So, if not rota, then who? Are they drag DR 23s? I can't seem to find information about where drag wheels are manufactured. Anybody have DR 23s want to look at the back for me? Or, anybody have the markings my wheels have on the front? Or know what any of that crap means? I want to get the same wheel...

· Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay the wheels are not rota, because rota = PHILIPPINE ALUMINUM WHEELS, INC., and that would lead me to assume the rota wheels are mfg'd in the phillipines.

the wheels arent drags, because according to discount tire drag wheels are mfg'd in china, not taiwan.

argh. who else makes these things

· Registered
701 Posts
if they are imitation rotas, then that's worse.

i would of said desmond regamasters but desmond doesnt have the extra holes in the middle.. btw, all these fake ass "slipstreams" are all replicas of the desmond regamasters..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.