VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Actually thinking about trading my P car and getting a Model 3/Y. Test drove a Stealth and a Y Performance. I don’t think the updates are substantive enough to say that you should move to a 2021 if you already have one. Just hold until you can get a Cybertruck, if that’s what you’re into. On the other hand, the dealer wanted me to buy an existing 3P for $1500 off, since the new ones are coming out. I think the new updates are definitely worth more than that.

As a side note, on my test drive in the Y, an Aventador pulled up behind me at the light on a frontag road. I took off from a roll and I heard him punch it to keep up. He gave the wave as he blew by onto the highway onramp. I’d rather have a Lamborghini, but not too many CUVs can keep supercars honest at the lights.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
The answer to the depreciation question is rarely "buy another brand new car".

·
Registered
39,713 Posts
Next Steps:
Should I sell the car TCL? I hate eating depreciation but bc it was a "sleeper" model, I feel like a lot of was was removed upfront by saving $5,000. Considering a Model Y Performance at $60k or the refreshed Model 3 performance at $55,000. Both are the hot new things and may fare well in the next 18 months of depreciation. Thoughts? In 2 years I'd like to pick up the CyberTruck so I am thinking about that long-term as well. What is my cheapest move?
youaresodumb.gif

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
youaresodumb.gif
Username checks out. I've managed to drive for free for 17 months if I sell right now but I'm the dumb one.

Congrats on your appliance
I didnt know blenders could be fun too.

Keep it for another 3-4 years until you can get the Cybertruck.
This might win. A friend pointed out that a new one could drop $10k in the next year but mine prob won't see another $10k drop in the same time period. I hope...

The answer to the depreciation question is rarely "buy another brand new car".
True but things are weird these days. This could have been true before I jumped into the brand but it has worked out. Playing the market demand, tax credit, and utility credit game has worked out.

Aventador pulled up behind me at the light on a frontag road. I took off from a roll and I heard him punch it to keep up. He gave the wave as he blew by onto the highway onramp. I’d rather have a Lamborghini, but not too many CUVs can keep supercars honest at the lights.
Love that

·
Registered
973 Posts
It seems like these cars have a strong resale value. This has been true for quite a while. What evidence do you see out there that seems to indicate the value would drop dramatically? If an actual new bodystyle comes out then yeah I would agree with you. A bunch of people would try to dump the old ones and upgrade cuz they don't want to be seen in an old model.

I don't see how you compare this car to an iPhone. Its about $40 a month to get a new phone and every teenager and their mom wants and gets one. So its very easy to do that.
A car is more like $600 per month between payment, maintenance, insurance and registration. I just don't see how people would dump 50k Model 3s to jump in another one that is not much different than what they already have.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you're worried about depreciation, stop buying brand new cars. Buy an aircooled P car if you hate depreciation. Will be slow as balls compared to your tesla but I've been flashed 3 times in mine so it's got that going for it.

·
Registered
45,343 Posts
It seems like these cars have a strong resale value. This has been true for quite a while. What evidence do you see out there that seems to indicate the value would drop dramatically? If an actual new bodystyle comes out then yeah I would agree with you. A bunch of people would try to dump the old ones and upgrade cuz they don't want to be seen in an old model.

I don't see how you compare this car to an iPhone. Its about $40 a month to get a new phone and every teenager and their mom wants and gets one. So its very easy to do that.
A car is more like $600 per month between payment, maintenance, insurance and registration. I just don't see how people would dump 50k Model 3s to jump in another one that is not much different than what they already have.
You underestimate. He wants the Model Y performance. A lease on one with FSD more like $792/mo with $5900 at signing. Or nearly $1420/mo on a 48 month loan with $4500 down. That doesn't include insurance or registration.

https://www.tesla.com/modely/design#payment

·
Premium Member
7,723 Posts
If you're worried about depreciation, stop buying brand new cars.
There's no clout in that :confused::confused: Thinking about it, I feel like that is the main driver of Tommietank's purchases. Bought the S2K, big celebratory thread, already bored with that too. What exactly could keep you excited about a car for more than 2 years? That's what you need to figure out before your next purchase Tommie. Take TCL out of the equation and figure out what will make and keep you happy. I promise it's not clout

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
There's no clout in that :confused::confused: Thinking about it, I feel like that is the main driver of Tommietank's purchases. Bought the S2K, big celebratory thread, already bored with that too. What exactly could keep you excited about a car for more than 2 years? That's what you need to figure out before your next purchase Tommie. Take TCL out of the equation and figure out what will make and keep you happy. I promise it's not clout

Variety is the spice of life. Love tasting a lot and not keeping much. Can't do it with wives, so cars are next. Also, I love the hunt. Talking about it here, with my local car group in our Slack, spending time on AutoTrader/CarGurus looking at stuff. I could but rather not spend tons of depreciation so TFL will always come into play. Sounds like it bothers you? Oh well.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts